Thursday, August 18, 2005

Vacation, Stitches and the Lost Kitty

Where has the week gone?

Our Sunriver vacation turned out great. We biked, swam, played at the playground and just relaxed. I wrote and read more chapters from the Harlequin Romances my editor had sent me to get a feel for the new line. We saw the meteor shower on Saturday night and had dinner with friends from our old neighborhood at their new house in Bend on Sunday. My five year old, Finn, learned to ride his bike without training wheels and is now a speed demon. The way he leans into the curves has me seeing more visits to the ER in the future. My oldest, Mackenna, is close to riding without training wheels, but she was more interested in bonding with her cousin. Rose went on her first pony ride on Monday. Now she wants a horse-a big horse. This will not surprise anyone who has met her. There's something about third children. I need to find the birth-order book that I used to use for my characters and see how it applies to my kids.

Rose's second stitch fell out on the drive home, leaving only one to be removed yesterday. More tears fell with that one removal than during the suturing! The doctor told me to keep antibiotic ointment on it. If anyone has other suggestions to help the skin from scaring too badly, please let me know!

Today I not only revised an old scene, I wrote a new one. Now to download it from my Alphasmart and see if it's any good.

Oh, and we averted a cat disaster today. Our former-outdoor-now-indoor-hissy-kitty, aka Smalls, escaped this morning. It was nearly an hour worth of searching until I found her. She'd crossed the road into another apartment complex. Poor baby actually seemed relieved when I trapped her on a second floor landing. Of course, she may have only been hungry since it was breakfast time. Still she only hissed at me once as I carried her home and didn't try to scratch me. That's an improvement.