Friday, October 28, 2005

4 days and counting

Here's the tally for Thursday (I couldn't get the spell checker to work so I apologize for any and all typos):

New pages written: 0
Old pages revised on paper: Chapter 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Pages of revisions typed in: Chapters 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Pages lost or gained due to revisions: +4
Total page count to date: 220 (goal: 200 pages)
Days remaining until D-day: 4

Emails from editor in UK: 0
Emails from agent in NY: 1

Chocolate consumed: ice cream
Junk food consumed: sliver of cheese cake
Exercise: none
Television watched: JoJo's Circus
Pictures of Hayden downloaded: none
Tears: none
Weight loss: 0 lbs (oh, well, I tried)

What's left before I can read this thing from start to finish: Rewrite Chapter 4 and 2 scenes in Chapter 6. I'm hoping to cut some pages. Once again I'm going to be long. And I still would like to write an epilogue.

What's left after I read the entire thing: Write an epilogue. Type in whatever revisions I make while reading. Use my checklist to see if I've overused any words. See if I can jazz up some of the tags and/or word choices. Read the entire manuscript out loud (this is very important and I will do even if it means staying up all night after I've taken the kids Trick or Treating!).

I went to a new website. Hayden fansite, of course. They have a countdown clock until the ROTS DVD goes on sale. Since that is the same day as my deadline, I was watching the seconds tick down and getting very nervous. I'm afraid to go back. Good thing since I really don't have time to play on the Internet right now.

Tiffany asked in the comment section how I pick whose POV to write a scene in. I've heard all kinds of suggestions such as use whoever has the most at stake. Sometimes I use whoever is learning something new so you get those reactions. Back when I was first starting, I'd write it from both POVs and see which one had the most impact. I've done that a couple times when I was having problems, but now I just write the scene without that much thought to the POV. Experience perhaps? More like luck, I'm guessing. I don't really know. I do usually alter POV between the hero and heroine, but not always. I think you just have to write what the story needs. The hard part comes when you don't know what that is. But it will usually come to you. An example is my 4/05 release. The entire first chapter is from the hero's POV. I tried to use the heroine, too, but it just didn't work so I went back to hero POV only.

Sorry that's not really a good answer regarding POV, but it's late and I've been writing all day. My brain hurts and my fingers want to stop typing.

What have I done? Okay, I will admit it. Not only am I insane, I am a glutton for punishment. But due to my lapse of rational thought, a modified daily tally will now continue on my diary even after the book is done. I just signed up for the National Write Your Novel in A Month challenge that starts November 1st. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel by the end of the month. Since our new house should be closing on the 17th and well be moving, I'm going to try to do it before then. (Yeah, right! Are you laughing yet? I would be if I weren't so darn tired!) Wonder how many words I can write as I watch ROTS over and over again?

For anyone interested in joining me, go to: www.nanowrimo.org I'm too tired to figure out how to hotlink it so you'll just have to cut and paste.