Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday Fun

So I'm taking a break from my book to blog. I've been working on a scene that's required lots of googling and that's been taking a lot of time. Not that I mind. Research is one of my favorite things to do.

In this case, I had to figure out how to get my characters from Guatemala City to El Calafate, Argentina. For anyone interested: Guatemala City to Panama City to Buenos Aires to El Calafate. There are also routes through Houston, DFW, Miami, San Jose and Lima.

Doing that research I learned why teams on The Amazing Race always catch up to one another. It's not just too keep things competitive (though I'm sure that plays a large part), but that most of the flights to a certain locale depart around the same time. But I got my characters there (all seven teams to be exact.)

My hero, Jace, and heroine, Millie, are currently standing on the Perito Moreno Glacier in Patagonia/Argentina. She's not feeling too comfortable standing on a chunk of ice with pieces of the glacier creaking and crashing into the lake. I've never worn crampons myself and walked on a glacier, but I'm guessing one not used to doing so could feel a wee bit nervous. Anyone know for sure?

I also need to figure out how easy it is to slip/stumble while wearing crampons. Sure would be nice for the hero to catch the heroine and then hold her hand as the trek to the clue box to receive their next instruction. Although the cold weather would be perfect for a kiss, I think it's too soon still. Since I write sweet/traditional romances (i.e. no sex unless married) the longer I can stretch out that first kiss from happening, the better. Especially since these two already know each other and have kissed before the book started. I'm afraid once they start, there will be no stopping them. Oh, wait. That's what conflict is for!

Okay, back to the glacier! I can always fill in the details later, but I want to get this scene roughed out. Hubby and boy kidlet are off to a Blazer game tonight, so it's just going to be us girls at home which will mean no writing until after bedtime.