Saturday, December 23, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

The Christmas To Do List is almost complete. The kidlets visited Santa last night. The line was long, but they didn't mind. The picture actually came out pretty cute, too. Much better then all the other ones with a crying or pouting little Rose!

Hubby surprised me this morning. I woke up early (6ish) and he was already up. When the littlest one wanted to climb in bed with me, I asked her to peek downstairs for Daddy. He was gone. So I called his cellphone. He was on his way to the mall. Two days before Christmas!

This is huge. Not that he waited until the last minute to shop. That's a given with hubby. I will never forget my first birthday after we got married. He literally ran into a store and bought the first thing that was on display. I know this because my sister and I couldn't believe what he'd gotten me when I unwrapped the package so I asked him if that's what he'd done. The sheepish expression on his face was my answer.

Anyway, that little backstory should tell you my hubby is a man who if he walks into any store that doesn't sell something he can eat or drink immediately wants to walk out. That's why I was so shocked to find out his plan for today. He wanted be at the mall (one that's near our old house in Lake Oswego, but a bit of a distance from our new one) when it opened. He wanted to get in and get out. Oh, and stop by REI, too.

I expected him to come home cranky and wanting to rip somebody's head off. The guy is my hero, but let's face it, shopping brings out the worst in him. Boy, was I wrong!

He was back by 11:30 am. His mission accomplished. And he didn't look as if he wanted to kill someone. He grabbed the kidlets and headed back to Portland for Irish dance class. He's mellowing with age or he's got his game face on.

Either way, I can't wait to see what he bought!

I'm off to the store myself to get groceries for our Christmas feast-a very kid-friendly meal. Appetizers: cheese fondue, beef stick and crackers, goat-cheese wontons and Fig marscopone phylo wraps. Dinner: Prime rib with twice-baked potatoes, green beans, salad, bread. Dessert: chocolate fondue w/fruit and other goodies, ice cream birthday cake and a cheesecake.