Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My First Ascent

Last night we had dinner at the Deschutes Brewery in downtown Bend. Great beer! We came home and the family went in the hot tubbed while I wrote. No page tally because I forgot the cord that attaches the alphie to my ibook for downloading. It's probably a good thing so I don't worry about the page count while I'm on vacation. I'm already freaking out a little about where I am in the book and where I think I should be.

I also tried out my new climbing shoes. The house has a rock wall in one of the bedrooms so I could give them a test run. Of course, I have no idea how to climb, but the climbing cutie instructor had given me a few tips over the phone before I left for Bend. I was hoping to do this when no one was around, but the kids were in there and suddenly the camera started flashing behind me. Lots of heckling from the crowd! Not that I expected any less which is why I was hoping to try this alone!



In spite of my fear of heights, I made it to the ceiling. Not that high, but as climbing cutie emailed me last night after I emailed him a few pics, "Bueno! Everyone starts somewhere." Climbing down was much harder than going up. There was more than a moment's hesitation both times I reached the top. I'm hoping to buy the rest of my gear on our way home on Thursday. We drive right past Smith Rocks which I hear is a fantastic place to rock climb. Once I have everything on my list, it will be time for lessons. I can't wait!

Today we're back on the mountain skiing. More snow fell overnight so there should be lots of powder. My cat Spirit will be getting her I131 treatment. Later, I'll post the link so you can see her in the hospital. They have web cams so you can see the cats.

Is anyone watching any good television? I feel so disconnected from the TV world since I haven't turned mine on in weeks.

Link for the day: Bus riding kitty! Cute story about a cat who takes the bus to shops, one of which is a fish & chips shop. Sounds like a pretty sharp kitty to me!