Monday, June 11, 2007

Eagle Creek

Yesterday we went on on a hike in the Columbia River Gorge in an area called Eagle Creek.

The overcast skies kept the temperature pleasant. It didn't start raining until the drive home. We still got a little wet on the hike since it had been raining all weekend. Being there reminded me of when I hiked through a rain forest in Costa Rica.

This is Metlako Falls, the first waterfall you come to on the trail. You follow a path to a viewing area.

There are four different waterfalls on the hike: Metlako, Punchbowl, Lodwit and Tunnel Falls.

On the way to Eagle Creek, you also drive past Bridal Veil Falls and Multnomah Falls.





Wildflowers bloomed all along the trail. Sometimes just one plant, other times a small field. I really liked these purple ones.







The initial part of the hike climbs above the creek and then flattens out. This picture was taken after we took an off-shoot trail back down to the creek near Punchbowl Falls.





Near the water, people had made cairns. The garden of trail markers looked as if they belonged in a fantasy or adventure novel. Here are a couple near the creek.





From this bridge you could look over into a ravine and see a trickle of water, but no waterfall.










This is Punchbowl Falls. If you continue up the trail, you'll see the other two waterfalls. When we have more time, I want to hike out to Tunnel Falls. We didn't have time on Sunday. Eagle Creek is not a loop trail so you have to hike back the same way you head out. Off-shoot trails take you down to viewpoints and the creek.




Here I am on my way out. It was a great hike and just what I needed. Now if I could take a day off and catch up on my sleep, I'd be a really happy camper!

Do you have a favorite place where you like to hike or walk?

Have a great Monday!