Saturday, August 25, 2007

Climbing at Smith Rock!

We arrived at Red Point and discovered we had the same First Ascent guides as last time! The kids were thrilled. They loved Zach and Nina. We drove to Smith Park, but parked in a different area. We were going to climb inside the park this time.

We hiked down to an area called the Dihedrals. The rock was different than the North Point area. I found it easier to climb on since my feet stuck better. This shot shows the different routes we were climbing. My oldest is climbing on the left. My friend's son is on the right. The kids did better this time out. The two youngest are still a bit tentative, but they had fun. A morning out in the dirt among rocks? What kid wouldn't like that!

Rose was a little hesitant getting on the rock since this route went much higher than those on our last visit. We told her she could come down whenever she wanted. She wanted extra help getting up so I climbed up to give her a few pointers and also make sure she didn't swing the wrong way once she was ready to come down. She really liked being a climber in pink. Even her harness was pink. She didn't mind the orange helmet too much since it matched mommy's.


This is Tiffany sending yet another route. She's my gym climbing partner, my nanowrimo-buddy, writing pal and good friend. We used to be neighbors, but still manage to see each other now that I've moved. She did great out there scaling the rock the way she does the gym walls. Awesome to watch. We had a lot of fun out there and tomorrow the two of us are going climbing. I can't wait!

Here I am on one of the routes. No fear of height issues at all. t was a lot hotter this time and we didn't have as much shade as the last time, either. The hike out was draining. We stopped off at the Terrebonne Depot for a delicious lunch, made a quick stop at the Sun Spot for an ice cream, got home, showered, rested for a few minutes, went out for pizza, came home and hopped in the jacuzzi. Pretty much as good a day as it can get!

The scenery was just gorgeous. I have shots that Tiffany took, but the pics are too big for blogger and I haven't figured out how to resize them. If I figure it out, I'll upload them!

Have a great Saturday!