Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Tree

This is our Christmas tree, a Noble fir, we cut down on Sunday while snow flurries fell from the sky. My son loves to tell everyone he sawed down our tree. I saw hubby hand him the saw and had my doubts, but Finn did a great job and only needed a little help.

We have an eclectic assortment of ornaments on the tree. Many are handmade by the kidlets and my nephews and niece. Lots are Hallmark ornaments the kids have received over the years. Others have been picked up along the way. Most have some story associated with them.

We have a Fisher Price Nativity scene under the tree. After a shepherd got beheaded a few years ago, we put away the larger, porcelain set and I bought a kid-friendly one. I do miss the other set. The cats really liked that one, too, because the creche was big enough for them to nap in. That was the one QVC purchase where I realized you can't tell scale on the television. I couldn't believe how large it was in person! Have you ever bought something via TV or on-line and were surprised at the size when it arrived?

This is the tree with the lights. We're a multi-colored light family. This year I decided to try some LED lights. They have a slightly larger bulb and are pretty cool looking. I'm hoping to pick more up after Christmas for next year.

I heard more from my editor today. My manuscript, Christmas on the Mountain, has been retitled Rescued by the Magic of Christmas. It'll be on the shelves next December!

11 comments:

Brandy said...

Your tree looks lovely! We don't have a nativity for the fact that the kids and the cats all have the same gene that makes you break things! *G* If I ever show pictures of my home, you'll notice anything breakable is on top of a high shelf. *G*
I didn't know Fisher Price made a Nativity, that's cool!

And yes, I have bought things off the computer, but I don't remember being surprised on it's size.

I hope you are having a fantastic day! How's the party go last night, I bet you had a wonderful time!

Melissa said...

The kids old preschool teacher had the Fisher Price Nativity set. I've never seen it in stores, but you can order it from their catalog or website. It's very cute. When you push down on the angel at the top of the creche it lights up and plays a song! Very kid and cat friendly!

Last night's party was so much fun. Got to meet a lot of people and put faces with names. Hubby went with me and had a great time, too. We carpooled with a climber who lives near us so that gave us a chance to get to know him better, too.

Tori Lennox said...

Your tree is lovely!

Dru said...

I love both the unlit and the lit tree.

I'm glad you had a good evening with your celebration.

Hope your day was a good one.

Brandy said...

Glad to hear you had a good time! I'll have to search Fisher Price's site. I am curious to see the Nativity. Cat friendly, eh? *G*

Bailey Stewart said...

My cats would figure some way to destroy it, fisher price or not.

Glad you had fun at your party.

Do you mind when they change the titles of your books? I liked your title better, their's is pretty clunky.

The tree is lovely.

Melissa said...

Thanks Tori and Dru. I'm paranoid this tree is going to dry out though. We had that problem last year and lost a couple of ornaments because of it.

Go to the website, Brandy and you will see it. We also have the shepherd set and the little drummer boy one. All three are under the tree.

Haha on your cats, Bailey. Two of mine have been grounded so are living in the master bedroom. The third could care less about the tree. She doesn't go near it.

I am no longer attached to my titles. They are strictly my working titles and I assume they will be changed after I turn in the book. It's just one of those things it's best to let go of before you start submitting because titles always boil down to what the publisher thinks will sell the book. But that doesn't mean I won't cringe or complain if I get a really sucky title. Still a bad title is better than a bad cover. That's the kiss of death for a category novel.

Marianne Arkins said...

I can't wait for next Christmas, now!! Another MMc book in my stocking *G*.

Marianne Arkins said...

I got my surprise today.

I <3 you.

*G*

Thx.

Nathalie said...

I always find it bizarre how editors change titles... I agree that the new title is much more alluring than yours :)

Melissa said...

You're welcome, Marianne.

Titles are all about marketing, Nathalie. That's why titles get changed.