Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's a Small World

The world of Internet forums is anonymous. You pick an avatar or user name and maybe where you live will come out or a few other things, but that's about it. You rarely know who you're talking to.

The other day, I posted a few questions on a Disneyland forum about our upcoming trip. I provided some information about myself, including I would be driving from Portland and listed the ages of the kids for suggestions on new things to see. Imagine my surprise when I got the following reply:

- clearly from your well worded post you must be a published romance novelist. We will be at the park during those exact times. Maybe we can meet up? I just happen to be the sister of a romance novelist and we would probably have a lot in common!

My first thought was what a coincidence. And then I took a look at the user name. It was the same name as one of my sister's old dogs. Yep, my sister figured out who I was by my post! She said she was going to write some really smart ass post, but didn't want to get flamed for being mean to me. Gotta love her!

Her reply led another poster to ask who the romance writer was because she was a romance reader. I emailed her last night. Turns out she has all my Silhouette Romance (and will now look for my Harlequin Romances!) She also lives in Southwest Washington just north of me. A very small world indeed.

Do you have any small world experiences to share?