Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be My Valentine

I know many people hate Valentine's Day. For many years (think those dating and single years), I dreaded February 14th. Oh, there were some good ones in there. I remember one guy I dated, a management consultant who traveled all the time so wasn't in town on the 14th, gave me the cutest card that is still one of my favorite Valentines to this day. I was an aspiring writer then and the wording inside was about being a "romantic novelist." But there were some bad ones, really bad ones, February 14ths straight from a horror movie rather than a romantic comedy. But even then I never gave up on Valentine's Day.

I couldn't.

Let's face it. I'm a romantic at heart. Always have been. Always will be. I believe in true love and happily ever afters. I'm a romance writer for goodness sake! How can I not love a day that celebrates love? And not just well the heart pounding, take your breath away romantic love. Sure, there's that, but the day is also a time to celebrate the love of family and friends. At least that's how I look at it.

Valentine's Day is a big deal around here. Well, for four of us, anyway. I don't think hubby gets into it much, but he's a good sport about the rest of us. The kidlets made goodie bags for each of their classmates and took great care with their choice of Valentine cards. In case you're interested, this year's choices were High School Musical and Disney Princesses.

Tonight hubby and I be going out to dinner for a much deserved date night. We decided to just do cards this year. Though I'm kind of hoping a box of chocolates will show up somehow! The kids will each be getting a card from us and a Mickey and Minnie heart lollipop I bought at Disneyland.

Do you have any special plans for Valentine's Day?