Monday, February 25, 2008

A Weekend on Mount Hood

On Friday, I handed off the frame to the mom who's going to be painting the top. Total relief to have it out of my hands for a few days. Then we drove to Government Camp, Oregon which is a small town/village on Mount Hood. I'd made these reservations back in November, not realizing all that would be going on in our lives right now. But it was great to get away from home for a couple of nights. And skiing during the day was just what I needed.

We stayed at the Huckleberry Inn. It was very reasonably priced so I didn't know what to expect. The room was just the right size for us, set-up for skiers, clean and we could walk to everything except skiing. A great place to stay.

We skied Saturday and Sunday at Timberline. Rose went to ski school the two days. I have nothing, but good things to say about the Timberline Ski School. They are awesome! The progression Rose has made is awesome. A week ago Sunday, she spent the day skiing between hubby's legs. On Monday, she attended a full-day lesson and spent her time on the magic carpet, which is like a moving walkway to get you up a tiny hill so you can ski down. On Saturday, she took another full day lesson and skied on the Bruno lift which is Timberline's bunny hill. Yesterday was her third full day lesson and she skied all over the mountain. I almost cried when I saw her with her class. I couldn't believe how much she'd improved from last Sunday. Her instructor told me she can ski anywhere on the mountain! But she skis in a power wedge which means this coming weekend she'll have to work on her turns. After seeing how much Rose improved, the other two kids now want to take a lesson, too!

On Sunday, my knee was bothering me a little so I stopped skiing after lunch. So did Mackenna. We changed clothes and sat in the lobby of Timberline Lodge and read. It was very nice! We got home just in time to unpack the car then head to church, for me to teach my class. Afterwards I watched the Oscars (though hadn't seen any of the movies.) I got a little misty-eyed when they showed Heath Ledger in the montage of people who had died. Later that night, I finished another Rita book. Only three to go!

Today will be somewhat relaxing. I only have my class to teach after lunch. Speech was cancelled so I won't have to pick the kids up from school and head to Portland. There is a special Irish dance practice for Mackenna (St. Patrick's day is just around the corner) but I'm hoping to sweet talk hubby into taking that. I need to work on my new story and read another Rita book!

Is your Monday looking to be relaxing or manic?