Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Animal Eye Doctor

One my three cats, Spirit, has an eye ulcer. We took her to see Dr. Kirschner, an animal eye doctor in Beaverton, Oregon on Tuesday. This was our second visit to the clinic. Since then Spirit has been on daily doses of three different medicines: two types of eye drops (one four drops a day, one two drops a day) and a pill. We thought the medicine was working because Spirit started opening her left eye. She no longer looked like a pirate kitty 24/7!

A trip to the doctor is not easy on Spirit. It's a long drive to from our house, and she does not like the car. Dr. Kirschner took us into the exam room. Poor Spirit did not want to come out of her carrier. I had to get her out while Rose held onto it. Spirit was so frightened, but Dr. Kirschner coaxed her closer so she could examine her. The doctor was very patient and gentle with my freaked out kitty.

The doctor reviewed her record and we talked briefly about Spirit's most recent blood test results from her regular vet. We've repeated the test with the same extremely low platelet count results, but she's showing no symptoms. Dr. Kirschner then checked Spirit with the lights on. Again, I was very impressed with the doctors easy manner that put not only the cat, but me at ease.

Next, Dr. Kirschner checked Spirit's eyes with the lights off. You wouldn't know it was dark from the picture though. My mistake. I thought I had the flash off, but I didn't. It surprised all of us including Spirit so I decided no more pictures when the lights were off. I really need to learn how to use my camera better.

With the lights on, Dr. Kirschner put drops into Spirit's eyes that turn green. This enables her to see things better. She then put on a head device, turned off the lights and checked Spirit's eyes again using the different equipment.

Afterwards, I could see green on the inner corners of Spirit's eyes that day, but she didn't seem to mind them. Must be all the eye drops she has to have!


All done! The examination didn't take that long.

Now that wasn't so bad, was it Spirit?

And good news!

The ulcer has shrunk 50%! We will continue the drops and the pill each day and visit Dr. Kirschner again in a couple of weeks. There's also something else going on with her eyes, but we're taking care of the biggest problem first.

One final picture of the patient and her eye doctor before getting back into the dreaded cat carrier and the evil minivan for the long journey home. Though Spirit looks ready to get out of there!

I've felt the same way when I've been at the doctors!

What about you? Do you mind going to the doctor's or are you ready to get out of their before you even go into the exam room?