Saturday, February 07, 2009

Smellz

funny pictures of cats with captions
more animals

My darling hubby decided to surprise me by "freshening" up the house with carpet freshener. One problem...I'm allergic to most fragrances. I don't wear perfume. I can't be around people who wear perfume. It makes me sick.

I walked into the house, smelled this flowery scent and immediately felt my throat constrict. My eyes started watering and my nose running. Sneezing, coughing, head pounding, not fun.

Luckily I was out most of last night. When I came home the symptoms started right up again. I had to sleep on the couch (carpet is upstairs) and even then it would sometimes hit me. I would have to go outside. Again, not fun when it's literally freezing temperatures.

This morning I sent hubby to rent a carpet cleaner. I should have told him to pick up Benedryl. I cannot wait for the smell to go away.

Hope things are good with you!

12 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Oh, man! I can totally sympathize! Perfume affects me the same way. *hugs*

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm the same way! LOL... poor hubs, though, thought he was helping. It's like when my DH put clothes in the dryer for me once, including a sweater that shrunk down to barbie size.

Dru said...

I know how you feel because I'm allergic to fragrances too.

A couple of years ago, I noticed that when you enter most department stores, the first area you hit is the perfume section and normally I have to run through that area or go through the back door.

Cheri2628 said...

Poor you! Strong perfume gives me a migraine. I wasn't that way when I was younger, so I don't know why it bothers me now.

Brandy said...

I can't handle most fragrances either. I hope your hubs gets it out of there soon! *G*

Have a good day! (After the carpet is cleaned!)

Jane said...

Luckily I'm not allergic to most fragrances. Hope the smell is gone.

Virginia said...

I am alericic to a lot for fragrances myself and I have been having a lot of migraines lately and they are brought on by alergies.

limecello said...

Awwee... poor you, Melissa. At least the hubby tried. I'm pretty "allergic" to most scents - but I don't know about carpet freshener. I got immediately stuffed up a number of times today at the mall - at the candle/fragrance shops my friends wanted to go to. Bah.

Amy said...

Oh, sweetie! Open every window, run every fan. Even if it's cold. You HAVE to get that smell out of there.

Remind him that plain baking soda works just fine to freshen carpets, and won't land you in the hospital.

Hugs.

catslady said...

Isn't it amazing how many have this problem - include me!!! I get an instant headache. I have to find cleaners that aren't strong smelling and makeup, soaps etc. I haven't worn perfume in years. Oh and hand lotion has to have no scent. I had a hard time when my two girls wanted to wear perfumes and use hairspray. Just walking through a department store with perfume can set me off. Hope your rug has aired out but it will probably take a while.

Rottie_mom said...

Oh no. I hope you are feeling a lot better. Im ok with fragnances but have to wonder about people that seem to marinate in them LOL.

LauraP said...

I have terrible problems with fragrances, too. Everything we use at home has to be unscented, and I venture forth into civilization with great caution and an ever present escape route.