Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Castle

If you read this blog regularly, you know I don't watch much, if any, television. The writers on the two shows I used to watch let me down and I never did go back even though the shows, from what I hear, have gotten better. I think my dissolution with television began after Invasion was cancelled after its first season a couple of years ago. Anyway, a couple of my blogging friends posted about a new show Castle yesterday. I'd heard about it, read an article about the show in our TV guide and told hubby I hoped to remember to watch it. I've liked Nathan Fillion, the actor who stars in it, ever since his stint on Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place. Of course at 10 o'clock last night, I couldn't remember what channel it was on, and as I flicked through the channels didn't see it. I grabbed the guide and saw it was on ABC even though Dancing with the Stars was still on. For some reason that show ran to 10:02 pm. Hubby and I watched the show and enjoyed it. Nathan Fillion is perfect in the role of a bestselling mystery author. I found myself laughing and nodding when some of the things about being a writer came up. I liked how they showed how Castle's writer brain functioned. The scene with all bestselling writers playing poker was priceless and perfect when Rick told them of the "book" he was writing and the comments he got back. Change the setting to a meal with romance writers at a conference or gathering and you've got a very similar scene that would go something like this: Romance Author 1: So that's the story. Romance Author 2: You've got a good idea, but I'm not really feeling the conflict. Romance Author 3: Yes, you need more conflict between your hero and heroine. Romance Author 4 nods: What's keeping these two people from falling in love and living happily ever after in chapter three? Romance Author 1 to self: Why do I always forget to add conflict? Romance Author 1 to others: Because I still have nine more chapters to write. (insert uncomfortable chuckle here) Romance Author 2: You need to add conflict. Not developer/environmentalist or arsonist/firefighter kind. Romance Author 3: Add internal conflict that would keep your hero and heroine apart even if they were on a deserted island. Romance Author 4: Exactly. And you might want to toss in a twist. Something fresh, of course. Romance Author 1 sighs: Of course. Okay, back to Castle. There is great chemistry between the author and detective, but I hope they keep the sexual tension high rather than going the romantic route. Remember Moonlighting? And the ending was a great! A believable and cute twist. I'll be watching next week. Did you see Castle? .