Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fix, Freeze, Feast

I heard about this cookbook on a blog. I was looking for ways to get more organized and help me with time and household management. Hubby does most of the cooking around here, and I've been wanting to help him out. There's only so many slow cooker meals I can eat in one week though and those are usually what I have time for with my writing and the kids.

The book sounded interesting enough that I ordered it from Amazon. I wasn't disappointed.

The recipes make use of food purchased at warehouse stores like Costco. Each recipe calls for trays of meat which makes more than one entree. That's where the "freeze" portion of the title comes into play.

I made a Costco run and came home with a tray of 2 flank steaks, a bag with 2 whole chickens and a package of chicken thighs. I choose recipes that looked easy, trying to set myself up for success.

Last night I made two recipes.

The first was 4B's Flank Steak. It took very little time. The main ingredient in the marinade is a bottle of Deshutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter. We ate one, and I froze the other in a gallon-sized freezer bag. It was so yummy. All five of us enjoyed it, and it got the thumbs up to add to our food menu. I added grilled asparagus, mashed potatoes and a loaf of French bread. A super easy meal. I had salad, but forgot to put it out. Oops.

The second recipe was the Very Berry Chicken. I froze both of those. It took me less than ten minutes to make. Super simple. I just cleaned and washed the chicken, dried it, stuck it in a freezer bag then added in the other ingredients! I can't wait to try it.

Tonight I will make the Honey-glazed Chicken thighs. This recipe makes three entrees!

I'll keep you posted on how I do with the cookbook, but so far so good. We really enjoyed our "feast" last night!