Friday, March 19, 2010

Rear-ended

i-can-haz-insurence-i-soberz-i-swearz.jpg
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

We were hit on St. Patrick's Day driving home on I-5 after the kidlets danced in downtown Portland. One minute we're totally stopped in traffic. The next someone plows into the back of us. The kids were hurting right away. A Portland police officer was on the scene within minutes. I don't know if another driver called the police, but I'm thankful he showed up. He was awesome and put all of us at ease.

While we waited for the officer to do paperwork, I called hubby in Germany. It was the middle of the night there. He asked where we were. I told him just south of the Rosa Parks overpass. He hopped on the Internet and could watch us live via the I-5 Traffic cams. This is a picture he sent us!

Fortunately the minivan is okay. Three of four of us are really sore and hurting. The pain keeps getting worse, but the various doctors we saw said that was normal.

The youngest seems totally fine though she was checked out by the pediatrician anyway. Kudos to her booster seat manufacturer which I can't remember the name of right now! My brain doesn't seem to be functioning on all cylinders at the moment.

Yesterday was spent making calls, talking to the insurance company, filling out forms and going to doctor's appointments.

My proposal was originally due today, but I emailed my editor Wednesday night and said I'd send it this weekend. She replied that Monday would be fine. Now to clear my head enough to write.

My parents just got home from a trip yesterday so they're coming up today to lend a hand with the kidlets. Two of them get another day to rest and recoup.

I do want to get on my soapbox for just a minute. Please make sure you have car insurance. The driver who hit us was uninsured. You really can't afford to take a chance you won't be in an accident someday. Yes, money can be tight and insurance isn't cheap, but think about the risks and consequences you'll face if you drive without it.

I hope you have a nice Friday!