Thursday, June 30, 2011

RWA Conference Day 2

It's been a hectic time at conference. Hectic but fun. So here's a rundown of my Wednesday... (I'll add the photos later. It's taking too long for some reason!)

I didn't set the alarm and woke up at 8:30 am. This was the start of the conference opening so I missed those speeches. At ten, Harlequin had a Meet & Greet for their authors. It was fun to reconnect with Fiona Harper, who I met in Dallas and wrote the blinddatebrides.com trilogy with, and Jackie Braun who I did the Girls' Weekend in Vegas series with.  I also got to see Linda Goodnight, a good friend and Wedding Planners author.

After that I headed down to the networking area where I sat with Presents authors Jennie Lucas and RITA® Finalist Kate Hewitt. I also met Natasha Tate.

Then it was off to lunch. I sat at a random table. It was so much fun. Everyone was so nice. We had both published and unpubbed authors. First timers and old timers. Golden Heart and Rita Finalists. It was a good mix! One of the authors brought chocolate to pass out since dessert isn't included with the lunches this year.

After lunch I uploaded the pics to the blog and then it was time to head to my literary agency party.  I misjudged the time it would take to get there so had to leave my walking partners Christie Ridgeway, Barbara O'Neal and Susan Anderson to get to the Harlequin Romance tea at SaraBeth's across the street from Central Park. I ended up being a few minutes late to that! Darn those red lights!

The tea was lovely. I sat at one end of the table with Jackie Braun, Theresa Southwick and editors Jo Grant, Byrony Green and Sally Williamson. It was a great time.

Jackie and I walked back. I arrived just in time to meet some writers from Portland to go to dinner. The concierge made us reservations at this really cute little Italian place on 46th Street. We had to eat fast though (no time for dessert) to get to the Sondheim Theater to see Anything Goes.

I had no idea what Anything Goes was, but my good friend Terri Reed asked if I wanted to go and I'm never one to turn down the chance to see a musical. I loved it! Sutton Foster is one of the most amazing performers I've ever seen. She's the total package, the triple threat. Joel Grey along with some other vary talented actors were in the cast. So much fun. We also saw Ellen Burstyn in the Ladies Room during intermission. My first star sighting this trip!

After the show I went back to the room and caught up with my roommate Shirley Marks. A busy, but fun day!