Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Norwegian Elkhound Puppies Redux


funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

A year ago last spring, the kidlets and I drove out to Chaos' breeder Jan's house to play with three Norwegian Puppies. They were ready to go to their new homes. It was a lot of fun so when Jan told me a new batch of puppies were going to be born at the end of July we couldn't wait.

Last night, we made the trek to Hillsboro, Oregon to see the three week old puppies along with a 9 week old that Jan had recently received. All of these puppies are related to our dog, Chaos. She would be their half-aunt. That is the little puppies' mom, Cassie, the older puppy's mom, Rumor, and Chaos have the same mom, Libby, who we also got to see last night.

Because the puppies aren't vaccinated yet, we saw them first. There are seven. Four male and three female. Jan keeps track of them by tying different collar ribbon around their necks. Later they will have colored colors.

Right now, they sleep in a kiddie pool with one of the sides cut away so they can get in and out easily. The pool is surrounded by an X-pen (fence) to keep the other dogs away. Eventually this pool will turn into their potty area.

Saying they are cute is an understatement. They are the definition of cute and adorable. They fall asleep in your arms. They waddle as they walk. They make these high-pitch little sounds. They get so excited when their mom, Cassie, comes in. I took a video of them when that happened. I just don't know how to get it from my iPhone to my computer!

This little guy caught my eye right away. He has a lot of white on his paws which most likely means he won't be show quality. There are certain breed standards, including coloring. But he's a total sweetie and will make someone a great pet. He kind of looks like a little bear. So cute. He fell back asleep as soon as I picked him up.

I can't tell you how much fun it was to see these little ones. A couple of times one or two would toddle out of the pool and come up to a kidlet. The giggles and squeals from the kids were so fun to hear. Of course, they've already picked two they want. Rose likes the orange puppy. Finn and Mackenna like the green one. I don't see how they could choose. They are all so adorable!

After we saw the puppies and all of them were more interested in nursing than playing, we headed outside to meet Grand Finale. She's nine weeks old and has such gorgeous coloring. The markings on her face are beautiful.

It was hard to get pics of Grand Finale. She was always moving around. She even stole Mackenna's flip-flop to chew on. A very cute and active little girl!

I was worried when I heard her name that she would be Jan's last puppy. But the name came from the person who bred the puppies and used musical terms for each name. (Encore, etc.)

Right now I need to get some writing done before the kidlets wake up! So I'm going to paste the rest of the pics below as they arrive. They pretty much speak for themselves.  We'll be heading back out to visit the puppies as they grow so there will be more pics. I took all these photos on my iPhone and when I have a little more time I'll see if there are others to upload!

Hope you have a great day!