Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hate

funny pictures - ah, sibling rivalry
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

If you're on Facebook, what do you think of the new changes?

I don't like them. In fact, I hate them. That's not a word I like to use a lot. But if ever Facebook needed a hate button, it was the nanosecond after they rolled out this new version. What is up with the Newfeed or all the clutter on the right hand side? I want the old Facebook back!

Some people think this is no big deal, but for others it is. I don't get a lot of real life interaction except for my family and pets. Facebook has been my watercooler, the place I go when I take a break and want some social interaction while writing. They change the site enough as it is, but something this big is really bad. Well, I think it is.

I don't play games on Facebook (thankfully learned how to block all those from appearing on my newsfeed), but I like to see what people are up to, to read the articles, see the pics or watch the videos they post. Facebook always seemed easier to do that with than Twitter, where I'm hit or miss. It's not as easy to follow what's going on with people on Twitter if you're not on a lot. Which I'm not. I just don't have that much time to tweet!

But these Facebook changes really drive me nuts. I don't want a computer algorithm telling me who or what's most important to me. I'd rather decide that. I feel like I'm missing posts from many people. And I don't want to have (or have time) to use so-called fixes (that seem to change daily) to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.

My publisher recommends using a Facebook "page" over a personal profile. I set one up and I have been using it to discuss writing, book and some life stuff. It's where I post all new info first. But this latest move by Facebook may be what drives me 100% over to my books/author page (where people like it.) "Page" feeds aren't as messy/complicated to use as Newsfeeds. At least not yet.

People say this is a move by Facebook to compete with Google+. I have no idea what the google thing is, but if it's more like the old Facebook or easier than the new one has turned out to be, I may check it out!