Saturday, August 25, 2012

Reflections

funny pictures - i look amazin  in a mirror
see more When I was in my early twenties my dear friend Elizabeth, who passed away in June, told me that she looks in the mirror and doesn't recognize the reflection staring back at her. That she still felt and saw herself as her younger self, as if she were in her twenties, not middle-aged. Her words stuck with me, even though I didn't quite get it at the time. As I got older (and continue to get older) I suddenly understood exactly what she meant. My number of years on this planet keep increasing, as do the lines on my face, but that's not how I feel inside at all! I even called her when I had my epiphany, and we had a good laugh about it. If Elizabeth was still with us, I would have emailed her this link, told her to look at the photographs taken by Tom Hussey and then call me so we could discuss it. Unfortunately my dear friend isn't here, so I'll tell you instead. Click on the link and then let me know what you think. Thanks!

7 comments:

Jane said...

I think that's how I'll feel as I get older, seeing my younger self in the mirror.

Brandy said...

Oh, I loved the link! Thank you for posting it. I see myself now in the mirror and know I've earned every silver hair and laugh line on my face. I'm proud of them, but vain enough to wish they weren't as noticeable. *g*
What's the expression? "You're only as young as you feel"? I'm going with that.

Hope you and yours have a happy day!

Dru said...

Thanks for sharing the link. I smile because looking in the mirror and seeing the young you reminds you of the roads you traveled.

Quilt Lady said...

Love the link! I will have to say when I look in the mirror I still see the older me. I not sure I like what I see.

Melissa McClone said...

Thanks for checking out the link!

I remember when Elizabeth told me that she once looked in the mirror and wondered who that was! I laughed then. Of course, I wasn't laughing when it happened to me. LOL!

I do believe the adage you're only as old as you feel. Looking at the photographs, how hard it must be to feel young but to have to deal with all that comes with an aging body!

Maria Zannini said...

I must feel younger than my age because someone caught me off guard the other day when we were comparing ages. I said the wrong age and totally believed that was correct--for all of two minutes. :)

Julie Steele said...

These are fabulous. I still feel 18 but want to be 35 again.