Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Writing a book

Back in September/October, I wrote a book in six weeks with my last deadline. I love how the book turned out, but the process just about did me in physically and mentally. I really don't want to go through that again.

So now I have another deadline coming up--May 22nd. I have the first three chapters completed (55 pages) and 8 pages of chapter four done. I'm trying to figure out how to get the rest of the book written this time around, on time. Upcoming events that I must take into consideration: school auction (about 2-4 more hours of work to do for it), kid's Irish dance recital, son's birthday, daughter's first communion and Mother's day.

Here are my options:
1) Write the way I always do which is hit or miss on a day to day basis (this will get the job done, but I pay the price-see above)
2) Be disciplined and set a daily page goal that needs to be done before I go to bed each night. (Doesn't take into account sick kids-I have one at home with me right now, emergencies that come up or my procrastination which could make for late nights.)
3) Write a rough (aka crap) draft as fast as I can with a set date to have the complete done then give myself a certain number of weeks to polish. (This gives me two deadlines! Yikes!)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?