Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bend it!

Thanks to our wonderful friends, Tiffany and Nick, who offered us the use of their beautiful house, we are spending the weekend in Bend, Oregon. Bend is a charming town on the way to Mt. Bachelor. We arrived yesterday afternoon and rented the kids and Tom skis at the Powderhouse. The great staff there provided us a map to the town and directions to the Bend Brewing Company where we ate a yummy dinner. Hubby was impressed by his pint of Poor Richard Brew. It was too heavy and dark for me, but I enjoyed my pint of Golden Metolius. And the kids gobbled up their pizza and fries.

Right now hubby and the two older kidlets are up at Mt. Bachelor. Unfortunately our youngest came down with strep throat on Wednesday and even though she's no longer contagious, sticking her into child care at the slope (or anywhere!) is difficult enough when she's feeling great so we decided not to push it this time. Next year she'll be old enough for ski school and I'll be able to get my fill of downhill. Finally! I've been waiting for this for a long time. When I was in my twenties and living in Arizona, I thought nothing of driving to Telluride, CO, to ski for a couple of days then driving home on Sunday after skiing all day and be at my desk, bright and cheery and a little sunburned, come Monday morning.

So I'm going to enjoy the snow with her, enjoy the beautiful surroundings and try to get some writing done. I let Rosie pick her favorite DVDs and I packed our little portable player. She's watching Barbie's Princess & the Pauper as I type. It's going to be a nice and relaxing day for both of us!