Thursday, August 17, 2006

Book Soundtracks

One of my favorite things to do is find songs that fit the book I'm writing. It used to just be one song for each book, but now I've got mini-soundtracks for books that I put together using iTunes. I'll play the songs when I'm brainstorming, revising and doing copyedits. It's a quick and easy way to get my mind in the book, too. Something that comes in handy for a mom writer who often has to turn writing on and off like a switch due to the family.

These are the songs I've come up with so far for the proposal (working title: Last Man On Earth):

What's Left of Me by Nick Lachey (Jace's theme)
Dreams to Dream by Linda Rondstandt (Millie's theme)
Here Without You by 3 Doors Down
It's My Life by Bon Jovi
It's My Life by No Doubt
If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot (one of my favorite songs of all time!)
Theme from Amazing Race (still haven't found it to download, so I listen to it on the website!)

I'll probably add more songs as I get deeper into the book.

I'm still waffling on Far Away by Nickleback. I really like the song, but I think it might actually be for the next book, the one I've been researching and jotting notes about at 1 am. That's what happened with Here Without Out You by 3 Doors Down. I thought it was for Marriage for Baby, but it was actually for this new book!

What do you like to listen to while you work?