Monday, August 14, 2006

Too many cooks

This week there are no camps, no trips, nothing except our normal outings. Today is speech therapy for Finn and our farmshare pickup. An easy day!

Especially since my house is pretty much spotless. We were gone all day yesterday to hubby's company's picnic at Oaks Park, the oldest amusement park in the USA. It's in a part of Portland called Sellwood that's right along the Willamette River. The kidlets had a blast riding the rides, eating sno-cones and all sorts of other junk food and just being with other kids.

The house blessing went well. The kidlets thought it was hilarious that Father tossed Holy Water everywhere. He even got the cats! The only embarrassing moment was when he was about to open the door to the garage. (I would have needed a week to unpack the piles of boxes and organize it.) I told him to close his eyes. He smiled and said he'd seen the worst a garage could look. He opened the door, tossed in water and said this was pretty much the worst he'd seen!

We, however, averted a huge cooking mishaps which relates to the title of this blog. My darling hubby and I have divided up the cooking chores. He does most of the everyday dinners. I do the big meals, holidays or when we have guests. He always teases me that I don't know how to cook, goes on and on about that he's such a good cook, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Anyway, I made lasagna for our dinner with the priest on Saturday night. Between grocery shopping, the house and the kids, I was running a little late. I finished the lasagna, turned on the oven and told hubby I needed to grab a shower. I told him when the oven was finished pre-heating to put the pan in for forty-five minutes and I dashed upstairs.

When I came back downstairs, I made the salad dressing and prepared the appetizers. I didn't think to check the lasagna, after all, hubby is such a good cook. Besides all he had to do was stick it in the oven, right?

Wrong.

For some reason, a reason he could not explain to me except for a "that's the shelf where I cook everything", he placed the lasagna on the top shelf which meant the top layer of mozzarella burned. Badly. He said no one would notice. Yeah, right.

Needless to say I wasn't happy. (That's putting it lightly!)

Luckily we had extra mozzarella. So I scrapped off the burnt layer, added new cheese and put the lasagna in the oven on the right shelf. This time the cheese came out fine, a light golden brown color. I think hubby will now think twice about what shelf he cooks meals on!

Oh, our Sunriver trip report. When I said I never opened my computer at Sunriver again in my last report, I didn't so I never wrote about the last couple of days. But here's a quick rundown for Tuesday. We rented a raft and floated down the Deshutes River. It was a very relaxing time, though about an hour too long for the kidlets. We stopped around the 4-5 mile mark for a picnic lunch on the shore. My arms got a good workout rowing. After rafting, we went to the South Pool for a couple hours of swimming. They have a great baby pool complete with water jetting out from tall tubes like a big sprinkler. Then it was off to the village for an Italian dinner at Bella Cucina. We ended the evening with a dip in the hot tub. I think all three kidlets were asleep before their heads hit the pillow that night!