Friday, August 11, 2006

Home Before Midnight

I'm still getting used to being home. Vacation laundry is finally finished, but I was on craigslist today looking at the various vacation rentals that are available. We can't go away again right now. Still it's nice to dream. Especially when I had to put writing on hold today. We're having our house blessed on Saturday and I was warned that the priest blesses the closets, too. So guess what I did today?

I have a great book to recommend. Home Before Midnight by Virginia Kantra has it all--suspense, mystery and a very satisfying romance. It's the story about a true crime writer, his research assistant and a widowed, single-dad police detective. When the writer's wife is found dead, the writer and his assistant are the main suspects. But soon that murder is the least of their problems! Virginia is a talented, award-winning author who writes amazing characters and packs her books full of emotion and suspense. It's on the shelves now so be sure to look for it!

Sunriver trip report continues...

Monday, August 6th - I went for my morning walk (great time to brainstorm and think about the book especially since I had yet to write a word since arriving.) As I rounded a curve, I saw a buck. He stood four feet away from me and was absolutely gorgeous. Velvet covered his antlers. He munched on a shrub, his dark eyes never leaving mine. I watched him for the longest time, neither of us moving. I kept thinking "Why didn't I bring the camera?" He was truly a breathtaking animal. I sure hoped he lived in Sunriver all the time, especially during hunting season!

When I got home, we went for a family bike ride over the Deshutes River. One thing I love about Sunriver is the 37 miles or so of paved bike paths. It makes it so easy to ride or walk without worrying about cars. We met a cute black lab (aka Waterdog) who kept the kidlets entertained by chasing after a ball in the river. Rose wants a dog (a real one as she keeps telling us) so badly. She asked Santa for one for Christmas and he brought her a stuffed one. Not good enough so she's decided she will save her money (our question is what money?) and buy a real dog herself.

After the bike ride, we headed to the Marina to reserve a raft for tomorrow then took the two youngest for pony rides. Mackenna and I made a reservation to go on a trail ride on Wednesday morning.

We explored the Sunriver Lodge and paid a visit to the village where we stopped by Goody's for more candy and picked up a pizza for dinner. While the little one napped back at the house, we taught the two older ones to play Texas Hold'Em. They, of course, kept winning hands! Gotta love a six year old who goes all in on a pair of twos and ends up with a flush!

Once everyone went to bed, I actually wrote. I downloaded my pages from my Alphie. I'd been procrastinating about that! Part of me was happy with what was there, another part wished there had been more words. Still I kept going, liking what I'd written in snatches of time last week. Good thing, since that was the most work I got done the rest of the trip!