Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sunriver Serenity

I'm home. I'll be honest, I wish we were still in Sunriver. It was the perfect vacation. Great weather. No injuries (last year we spent one morning at St. Charles ER with youngest kidlet.) Just simply a wonderful time.

I did not have a Wi-fi connection, and I was too busy (okay, lazy) to go find one. I was having too much fun to worry about email, etc. Of course, I came home to over 400 emails and I've yet to check the email account attached to my website. Oh, well... whatever I have to do to get through them all will be worth it.

But I did keep blogging in case I ever made it to the village with my computer in tow. So here goes:

SATURDAY, August 5th - We made it to Sunriver in time to unload the minivan, put away the groceries and change clothes for Mass. Making it to church was the only must accomplish item on our itinerary this week so we got that checked off on day one!

When we arrived at the church, we saw a family from our parish and school. The kidlets were so excited. Then during communion, we saw a family from our old parish and school. Watching my daughter's wide-eyed gaze meet her former classmate's was so heartwarming. And I was proud of both girls for not losing sight of the solemnity of the moment (receiving the Holy Eucharist), either. After Mass, we talked with both families. A sleepover with one was quickly planned once we get home. We agreed to meet the other family for swimming on Sunday. Needless to say, a good start to our vacation.

That night I finished a book that I'd been starting and stopping for the last couple of months due to life getting in the way. My good friend Tiffany had given me an autographed copy. I'd enjoyed what I'd read so far so I decided to just start over and read it straight through. That's my favorite way to read a novel even if it means staying up all night.

The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show is by Ariel Gore, who also wrote Atlas of the Human Heart. The protagonist is named Frankka (real name: Frances Catherine.) Her stage name is Saint Cat and her "trick" is the ability to bring on the stigmata during a performance. If it sounds a bit out there, it is, but I enjoyed the story. The well-written book is spiritual, irreverent and thought provoking all at the same time. I loved the saint book stories, where Frankka writes about different saints. If you are looking for something a little different, be sure to check it out. But be warned, it's nothing like any Harlequin/Silhouette you've ever read!

So that's day one. More tomorrow! Right now my furbabies need some attention.