Thursday, February 04, 2010

Collections

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

It's funny how what you collect can make you a nerd. Certain things are no brainers such as Star Wars or Star Trek items, electronic things, computers, Pez dispensers, you get the idea.

The other day there was a picture in the paper about people who are devoted to a specific sports team. This woman's entire bedroom was done in Washington State University colors and memorabilia. Think red, silver and white. Cougars, too.

That seems more like loyalty to me. Not that I'm about to decorate my house in Cardinal red. But I red is my fave color!

I used to have a collection of horse figures when I was a kid and Madam Alexander dolls (still have those somewhere packed away in their original boxes, even.) Those don't seem all the nerd like to me, or maybe I just don't want to admit it!

What about beanie babies? The fight for rare little stuffed animals on eBay during its heydey seemed more OCD than nerdy.

The one collection I have and put out yearly, but no longer add to, is my Department 56 Christmas Villages. I used to belong to a Dept. 56 group (real life, not Internet) and they called themselves the Village Idiots. That one probably can lean to the nerd side.

Is it the thing you collect that makes a nerd? Or is it the collecting action that makes you one?

What do you collect?