Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Meeting On-line

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

I've met some really cool people on-line that have become real life friends. Many are writers. I only get to seem them when I make it to an RWA conference. A lot are climbers. I've met all but two of my climbing partners on-line at a climbing forum I belong to.

I remember the first time I met someone in person that I met on-line. Hubby said I should check her driver's license to make sure she was who she said she was. This was back in the mid-90's, too! We still exchange Christmas cards each year and sometimes chat on Sunday nights.

There was one guy, Callum, who I met on a Titanic email loop. We got together in summer of 1996 to go pub crawling when I was vactioning in London. I figured a pub crawl would include dinner. Nope. So we dashed into a Kentucky Fried Chicken to get something-anything-into our stomachs. There I met Robbie Williams. I had no idea it was Robbie Williams much to Callum's delight. He proceeded to tell this famous member of the English boy band Take That that I was from America and didn't have a clue who he was. Robbie was amused and took a picture with me. My friend, Leigh, who hubby and I were staying with in London sent me a CD of Take That. I realized I had heard one of the group's songs on the radio. And, of course, Robbie got more famous once he left the band and struck out on his own.

Not every meeting has gone well. I met one person who was totally different than their on-line persona. I couldn't believe it was the same person. I'm a little more cautious now, but overall I've had good experiences.

How about you? Have real-life meetings of on-line friends gone well for you?