Thursday, July 28, 2005

Love honor, honor love!

So I'm still on a Hayden high functioning on very little sleep, but reinforced by newly one-hour developed photos from last night! I will contain myself from further gushing on him, however. I will tell you that Michelle returned to Circus Circus this morning for the Bull Run departure (okay, Hayden's), but I went listen to Randall Wallace, who was the speaker for the published authors retreat, instead.

Using stories about Braveheart, We Were Soldiers, the movie industry and his family, he wove together an inspiring talk that had us laughing one moment and wiping tears from our eyes the next. Sprinkled inside his tales were golden nuggets about craft, process and purpose.

Some of Randall's gems that resonated with me:
- "It's not a matter of genre, but where the writing comes from and is aimed at."
- "I know what it's like to put on your fuzzy slippers and have a good cry."
- "I write to try and find out what I feel. Not guess what the audience wants."
- "An ending that does not surprise the writer will not surprise the reader."
- "Love me, hate me, fight me, hold me. This is who I am."
- "Transcend the formula in a way we believe."
- "Write from your child mind. Let the child play."
- "I only know how to rewrite."
- "When I write, I feel His pleasure."
- "I will do the best I can. Say the truth in every way I can."
- "A movie is like a human being. If it doesn't have a spirit, it is a lost thing."
- "If you can be faithful to your heart, even if they cut it out, you will prevail."
- "If I refuse to honor that and worry about making bestseller lists or winning an Oscar then I'm not going to hell, I'm already there."
- "Why we tell a story is more important than how."
- "Tell the world how men out to be."
- "If anyone needs to die for this to happen, it's no problem."
- "Your writing is your own fantasy of yourself."
- "Put heart into your story. Write what you need to affirm."

Today happened to be Randall's birthday (my father's too) so we sang him Happy Birthday when he finished. I bought his latest novel, LOVE AND HONOR and had him autograph it. The title of this blog is the message he wrote.

Then I was off to lunch with several other Silhouette Romance authors and two editors from Harlequin Mills and Boon in London at the El Dorado Hotel. We learned the new Harlequin line aka The-Line-With-No-Name actually has been named. Only they won't be telling us the name until tomorrow at the Harlequin Silhouette authors' forum. Will it be a warm and fuzzy name? A sexy name? Something contemporary and hip? Some time after 3:15 pm, we'll know.

Meanwhile, my mom saw Nora Roberts in the hallway and introduced herself and all the kids, including my 10 year old nephew who came with us. When my nephew was 2 or 3, he picked up one of Nora's books I was reading and fell in love with her picture on the back. He would point to it over and over again and say "Nora. Nora." And yes, my mom had to tell Nora this with my nephew standing right there! Poor kid.

Later this afternoon I met with my super cool agent Annelise at the Siena Hotel. We discussed my story, NOT SO PLAIN JANE, for The-Line-With-No-Name, when I'd have the proposal done (some time in August), what changes I'd already made (a few big ones, but they only improve the story, I think) and the other projects I want to write next. We also talked about other things including seeing Hayden the night before. I showed her his autograph on my manuscript page, too!

It was then off to my Aunt Theo and Uncle Danny's house for a big family get together to celebrate my dad's birthday. My Aunt Tess and Uncle David also showed up. When you added all of us along with first cousins with their spouses and kids and second cousins with their spouses and kids, it was loud, busy and overflowing with love! I hated to leave.

Now we're back at the hotel and it's time for some shut-eye. Tomorrow is a full-day of workshops not to mention the Jane Rotrosen Agency get together, the Mills&Boon Open house and the big Harlequin Party for all of us Harlequin/Silhouette writers.