Friday, September 04, 2009

A Letter from Jane

If you've read my June release Dream Date with the Millionaire, you might have guessed I'm a fan of Jane Austen. I have such amazing memories of my tour of southern and western England where my husband visited many of the sights from her books as well as life.

My wonderful friend, Tiffany, recently sent this to me. (You may need to click on the picture to read it.)



I find it so funny that Jane didn't think she wrote romance! I've always considered her novels romances. They have all the necessary ingredients: a heroine, a hero and a HEA.

In the letter above, as well as others reference, she was talking about her story Emma. I see Emma as the boy next door kind of romance. The kind where the perfect guy is right under your nose, but you don't realize it until it's almost too late. Definitely a romance in my book, even if Jane might disagree. Or perhaps she had a different definition of a romance novel all together.

What do you think? Did Jane Austen write romances or do you believe as she did that she "could no more write a romance than an epic poem"?