Saturday, January 09, 2010

Praying for Kevin Pearce

This is my new profile pic on Facebook and Twitter. I got it from the Burton website. That's Burton Snowboards.

You're probably thinking, huh? I know. I don't really ride. I'm a skier. I've snowboarded exactly once in my life and was so bruised and sore I put frozen vegetables (the only thing I could find in the freezer of the condo we were staying at) on my legs to keep them from hurting so badly. But it's my way of supporting professional snowboarder Kevin Pearce who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury on New Years Eve while training for the Olympic trails at a halfpipe at Park City Mountain Resort. But if getting on a board again would help him even a tiny bit, I'd gladly give it another go in spite of the falls, humiliation and bruises I suffered at Park City West so many years ago!

I'm not sure why Kevin and his family has touched my heart so much. Maybe it's because I know my nine year old son Finn is counting the days until I give his trading in his skis for a snowboard the thumbs up. He still has to master skiing with poles first, but we both know the day is coming closer. He loves all things snowboarding whether it's clothing or video games.

It could be because of the manuscript set on Mount Hood that I'm currently revising. My hero, Sean Hughes, is a snowboard manufacturer. My heroine, Zoe Carrington, snowboards.

It also might be because of hitting my head when I fell skiing at Timberline on Memorial Day. I still don't remember doing that so I know the injury could have been a lot worse, especially if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Kevin was wearing a helmet, too, but hit hit the edge of the halfpipe above his eye. There but for the grace of God, go I.

It could just be the kid is not only amazingly talented, but seems really, really nice. He's got a great smile, and his personality shines through in the interviews I've seen.

There's a Facebook page where people can offer prayers and support. Just reading it is so inspirational. Every day new fans join, all sending their love to Kevin and his family. You should check it out. There are also pics of his "Frends", what a group of snowboarders who banded together call themselves, who are in Mammoth, CA competing for spots on the Olympic snowboarding team.

Snowboarder Ellery Hollingsworth has a sticker on her board that says "Pearce would have won." I pray for the day we see Kevin win, during his recovery and, if I might toss out the perfect happily ever after ending this romance writer would give him, at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.