Friday, December 23, 2005

Broken arms and naked bottoms

Two more days until Christmas. The cards are in the mail. The ham is in the fridge. A few groceries need to be purchased. About a third of the presents still need to be wrapped. We're all slowly recovering from a nasty cold. And one scene of the new proposal has been written!

Things are quiet in the house right now. Two of the cats are asleep under our bed. Another is asleep under the tree. The kidlets are sitting at the table coloring wood ornaments for family members. But about ten minutes ago I thought we would have to make another trip to the ER. My son was running around, in socks (my fault, I know), and slipped on the hardwood floor. He went down on his upper arm. Needless to say the amount of tears and level of screaming suggested something serious like a broken arm. I managed to get him on my lap and my daughter, only seven but a dancer who wants to be a vet, grabbed the ice and then brought me the phone. Luckily it was more drama than true injury.

All three kids seem to have a flair for drama. Though my youngest might just be the comedian of the family. For several months now, she has been doing her naked bottom routine. She shakes her bum and sings, "Naked bottom, naked bottom." The older kids think it's hilarious. It is! Though I imagine she'll be pretty embarrassed come time for her wedding rehearsal dinner and we put together video clips from her childhood.

I'll be back tomorrow. I already know the subject-holiday traditions!