Monday, November 10, 2008

The Crevasse

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you might remember my book that hits the shelves tomorrow started as an idea I had while following a climbing accident on Mount Hood in December 2006. The story behind Rescued by the Magic of Christmas is here on my website.

I recently found a link to a special report by the Rocky Mountain News titled The Crevasse. The five part series is about two men, Jim Davidson and Mike Price, who fell into a crevasse on Mount Rainier in Washington state back in 1992. The report is so much more than a retelling of an accident that claimed a life. It's also a story of friendship, of the bond between two friends who were also climbing partners. It made me think not only of my characters, but of the men and women I tie-in with when I climb. It's worth a read whether you climb or not.

Have a nice Monday!

8 comments:

Dru said...

thanks for hte link. I plan to read the 5-part series.

Sarita Leone said...

Wow, what a story! I am learning that climbing is not as solitary sport as I believed it to be. Thanks for the link.

Hope the week goes well for you.

Amy said...

I'll have to come back to the story when I've got some time. Maybe tomorrow when the boys are ALL home, distracting me from writing.

I'm still looking for your book out here. FM changes their stock on Tuesdays, so I'm hopeful I'll have it to read next weekend.

Virginia said...

Wow what a great story. I don't think I would ever be a climber. I am just to afraid of heights.

catslady said...

I'm with Virginia - totally scary, but I like reading about it.

Jane said...

I remember reading about the December 2006 accident in the newspapers.

Brandy said...

I remember reading about the Mt. Hood accident. I'll reading the series of articles.
I've always thought you were brave for climbing. This only reinforces my perception. I'm glad you have those that are there for you when you climb.

I hope your day is going well.

Melissa said...

I love reading about climbing and love when I stumble across a good read.

I'm plugging away on the pages! Of course, I also had to clean the bathrooms and do a couple of loads of laundry. The oh-so glamorous life of a romance writer. I always figured if I sold enough books I'd wear a pink lounge suit and lay on a chaise lounge drinking champagne and eating bon-bons while an assistant types in what I want written ;)

BTW... Thanks all for your support. Means so much to me! xoxox