Monday, February 04, 2013

Super Bowl Sad Day

Kudos whoever made these! So funny!
My team lost. Rose's team won. That about sums up Super Bowl Sunday for me.

I did think the meme to the left was hilarious. Much funnier than some of the commercials shown during the game.

I did like a few of the ads: the Budweiser one that I posted here on Saturday is still my favorite. I also liked the Paul Harvey "Farmer" for the Dodge Ram Truck. I must admit I got a little teary eyed over the Jeep-USO commercial. Very touching and I couldn't stop thinking about our adopted service member being separated from his family.


Part of the reason I wasn't into the game was my sadness over the murder of former Navy SEAL and American Sniper Chris Kyle and his friend, Chad Littlefield. Chris is the NYT Bestselling author of American Sniper. I'd learned about Chris through SOFREP. They have a great video series called Inside the Team Room where three former SEALS talk about their experiences pre-during-post teams.

From SEAL OF HONOR FB page
Chris Kyle was larger than life, but also humble.  When you listened to an interview or show or read something he wrote, it was like talking to a friend. Some of the people on SOFREP were fortunate to know Chris. Many of us hadn't met him yet you still felt like you knew him because he was so open about things. If you're at all interested in learning more about SOF, especially SEALs, check out the episodes.

During one show, Chris talked about doing more to help service members. I can't remember exactly what he said (and with lots of episodes I don't have time to rewatch them all while on deadline) but the doing more part resonated with me. It spurred me to find a way to do more than just say "Thanks for your service" when I see a  service member or veteran somewhere. That's how I discovered Soldiers' Angels, an organization that helps soldiers, wounded warriors, veterans and families. It's been a wonderful experience for my entire family. More than once I started writing an email to thank Chris only to be interrupted. I really wish I'd just taken the time to thank him before because now it's too late.

There's a lovely tribute written by Eric Davis, Chris Kyle's sniper instructor and friend. Click here to read the post at SOFREP.

Chris Kyle not only served our country, he wanted to give back after leaving active duty. He helped numerous veterans. He helped law enforcement. He helped civilians.

He sure helped me and my family realize we could do a little something ourselves, far away from the battles in Afghanistan being fought in Operation Enduring Freedom. If not for Chris Kyle, I would never have thought about joining a group like Soldiers' Angels. It just wasn't on my radar screen. I'm so glad and thankful it is now!

RIP Chris Kyle, a true hero and a great American. I regret not saying it before, but I'll say it now.  Thank you for your service and keeping us safe and getting us involved. Your family, friends and teammates are in our prayers.


13 comments:

Brandy said...

I didn't see the superbowl commercials last night. I have now watched the GoDaddy (disgusting), the Clydesdales (brought tears to my eyes), and the Calvin Klein ad. I keep hearing about the Jeep/USO ad and hope to see it soon.
I am sorry for the loss of Chris Kyle. I didn't know much about him, but am so glad that besides being a hero, he touched so many lives by example.
Hugs.

Melissa McClone said...

Brandy - the Jeep commercial is on my FB wall. I posted it there right after it aired during the game!

Jane said...

The Oprah Jeep-USO ad was great, but I thought the Ram ad was weird.

Quilt Lady said...

So sorry to here about this myself, so sad.

I loved the farmers commercials but I didn't watch the Super Bowl, hate sports. Also it took up Elementary that I DVR and didn't get it because of the Super Bowl. I missed the show.

Tori Lennox said...

Loved those same commercials myself.

And like you, I'm really sad about the murder of Chris Kyle. And absolutely disgusted by the hate being spouted towards him. It just boggles my mind.

Eric Davis said...

Melissa,

I wanted to personally thank you for recognizing Chris here in your personal blog.

As time passes it is my hope that the out poor of love and honor expressed by people like your self bring comfort to the Kyle family.

God Bless you....

Eric Davis

Melissa McClone said...

Thanks for stopping by, Eric. I really appreciate it. I enjoyed watching you on The Blaze. Well done interview! I'm sure it must have been hard under the circumstances. I'm very sorry for the loss of Chris and Chad.

Yesterday, I commented on your SOFREP article. I'm the mom of one of those 12 year old boy you mentioned. He's a competitive swimmer and has talked of being a SEAL. But no matter what he decides to do in the future, there is so much he can learn about being a good man from heroes like Chris Kyle. So glad we have the book and interviews and people like you who knew him to keep talking about him. Thanks again!

Melissa McClone said...

Tori - Chris had a specific word for those folks that he used on his FB page. I think I'll leave to Dakota Meyers and other heroes like that to deal with the idiots. Idiots is my word, not Chris' ;)

Melissa McClone said...

Quilt Lady - hope you can find your show on Hulu or the network somewhere. I've never seen it, but I don't watch much TV! Good luck!

Melissa McClone said...

Jane - The immagery and the voice of Paul Harvey caught my attention with that farm ad. It brought back memories of a week spend on a friend's grandmother's wheat farm in eastern WA when I was going into 9th grade. My dad was also raised on a ranch. They had sheep. My cousins are still there. It's a hard life that has it's own rewards. You have to want to choose it or you won't make it. You also have to be very strong and have a never ending work ethic. I think the ad captured that for me.

Cowboys and farmers and kind of mainstays with romance novels though I've never written one. LOL!

Maria Zannini said...

I was very upset to read about Chris Kyle. He was a hero and the kind of man who inspired others.

RIP, Chris Kyle. And thank you.

Moin Vivotic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
muhammad ibraheem said...

Investment Plans to make money online, Online Jobs can make money online from home, Just Visit
www.jobzcorner.com