Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Friends

You know when you meet someone and you just know they are a great person? That's how I felt when hubby and I picked up Dru a week ago tonight.

I'd read her blog, emailed her and spoken to her on the phone, but there's nothing like meeting someone in person. The first thing I noticed was she is very much like her on-line persona. (That isn't often the case.) The thing was we had no problem talking. And talking. And talking.

It was as if we'd already known each other for a very long time. So cool!

On Thursday morning, we headed down to pick up our mutual friend, Amy. I'd planned a surprise for Dru. A trip to the Oregon Coast. I figured if she flew all this way from the East Coast she needed to see the Pacific Ocean. Plus it would be a chance for me to get away, too.

Our destination was the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport, Oregon. The Hotel has rooms named and decorated after authors. It also has ocean views from several of those rooms, too.

I didn't have my camera since hubby needed it for the dog show the family was attending on Friday, but Dru posted a bunch of pictures here. I love that hotel. We stayed in the Colette room. That was my second time staying there. Of course, Colette loved cats. The hotel has too cats: Dickens and Shelley.

Shelley became my friend. She kept wanting in our room. Okay, she really just wanted me to rub her. Which I did.

We took a walk along the historic bayfront, stopped in at Rogue brewery for a beer and strolled along the beach. A beautiful sunny afternoon on the coast!

We ate dinner at the Table Of Contents. Each course was a chapter. You sit family style at table of eight. My fave part was playing 2 truths and a lie with the other guests at our table. Dru and I (along with two others) managed to stump the table. Here are my three. Can you figure out which is the lie?

1) I swam with penguins.

2) I won a blue ribbon at the Washington State Fair.

3) I worked on a pit crew.

After dinner, I actually got a little writing done up in the reading nook. They also had yummy spiced wine to drink up there! The only thing missing, the cat who was trying to sneak into our room.

It was a perfect day to start our 5 days of sightseeing around Oregon!