Thursday, December 27, 2007

It's Snowing!

The kidlets woke us up this morning at 8:15 am (can't complain about that!) laughing and shrieking with delight. White stuff was falling from the sky and they were so excited, but the best part, in their opinions, was that it was sticking to the grass. The pulled me out of bed and took me to the oldest's bedroom so I could see for myself. Yep, very exciting!

I told hubby last night to run out and get some groceries unless we wanted to survive on cookies, candy and fudge. He didn't, but there's still time this morning. We planned on skiing this week, but with the littlest one, taking her out for the first time of the season in bad weather might not be the smartest thing. She did it at Mount Bachelor, but that first day was a total wash.

I did, however, look for a place to rent for a few days during spring break up on Mount Hood. My oldest's birthday falls on Easter this year and she wants to ski (and stay there) rather than have a birthday party. (Do you hear the choirs of angels singing?) I found two possibilities that would work and are reasonably priced. Of course, she'd also like to climb and go on a dog sled ride, but both of those are over near Bend so might have to happen some other time.

I also reserved a yurt at Cape Disappointment for this summer. I'd forgotten to do it before due to the book and when I checked after the book had been sent in, nothing was available. The kids were really disappointed. Last night, with all this vacation planning happening, I checked again, and the same yurt we'd stayed in last year had three nights open in July. Someone must have changed their reservations. YAY! I booked it right then and there. The kids are thrilled.

Obviously, I'm a planner. Though I still like to do things spontaneously. What about you? Do you plan things out way in advance or not?

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Nathalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathalie said...

I just came back from a very sudden trip... it began christmas morning and just ended... my cousin decided to do a surprise drop at a friend's chalet in the mountains... and we all went there to meet her!

And it was snowing too! I did not have the time to wish you all Merry Christmas!

I am not such a planner... even if my family would disagree with me. When I want to go somewhere, it is usually very last minute!

Tori Lennox said...

"Yurt" is such a funny-sounding word. *g*

Brandy said...

It sounds as though y'all are going to have great vacations this year. I have to agree with Tori, I know what a Yurt is, but it is a strange sounding word. *g*
As for most things, I am a planner, every now and then I do suggest a day trip that we haven't planned though. And we always end up having a good time, so it works. *g*

Have a wonderful day and enjoy the snow!

Dru said...

I'm definitely a planner. I'm already investigating two places that I want to visit this year, Dallas and Atlanta.

LauraP said...

Yurts are cool, though I did pass on the opportunity to spend a weekend in one in bear country -- after my friend pointed out how well they'd patched the tear that 'little black bear' made in the wall. Yikes!

Ironeyes said...

I enjoy planning as spur of the moment decisions for me are usually diasters. The best way for me is to plan. Once I get to my destination I can fly by the seat of my pants. If I plan early on I also get to make the best choices of fares and living quarters.

Dave

Melissa said...

Oh, Nathalie! Christmas in the mountains sounds wonderful. What a fun sudden trip. I'd imagine with school and rounds at the hospital, you don't have a lot of time to plan things so things would be more spontaneous.

Tori - From wikipedia : The word yurt is originally from the Turkic word meaning "dwelling place" in the sense of "homeland"; the term came to be used in reference to the physical tent-like structures only in other languages. In Russian, the structure is called "yurta" (юрта). (There is an obsolete term "kibitka" (кибитка).) From Russian, the word came into English, and is also the basis for the term horde, meaning encampment, palace (ultimately from the Turkic ordu, orda [1]).

Brandy - thanks. I have to remember that not everything needs to be planned so far ahead.

Dru - Dallas and Atlanta would be really fun, but what about San Francisco? Say the end of July and the beginning of August when RWA National is happening *g* Of course, the fall is a much better time to visit SF.

LauraP - Yikes is right. I would have passed up that opportunity too. Bears scare me!

Dave - welcome and thanks for commenting. Too funny on your spontaneous disasters. I've been there myself. I usually plan a couple of activities before hand, but leave the rest of the time open for whatever we might feel like doing.