Friday, December 28, 2007

Simply Enchanting

We saw Enchanted yesterday. It was the first movie the five of us had attended together since Over The Hedge. With the cost of movie tickets we usually just buy the DVD when it comes out. It's cheaper that way. But my cp had already given me the thumbs-up-must-see on the movie after she, her husband and another couple saw it together. Given I love fairy tales, princes and princesses, I knew this was one movie I wanted to see in the theater.

I wasn't disappointed.

"Mommy will be buying this DVD," my oldest said as we exited the theater. She was correct. This romance writer of happily ever afters loved Enchanted.

Amy Adams plays Giselle and is a delight in the movie. I can't imagine someone else in that role. James Marsden is a great Prince Edward, too. My fave part of the movie was the big musical number in Central Park when Giselle starts singing much to the dismay of Robert played by Patrick Dempsey.



Several shots in the movie pay homage to movies (Disney and others) that came before, including the clip I posted above.

The clever script was written by Bill Kelly. It's not without a few flaws. In true Disney fashion, Kelly gave each character a HEA. The only one that left me with an "okay, I guess" feeling was Prince Edward's. The others, however, including the two "authors", were perfect! And hubby had issues with Robert's wife leaving him. (I reminded him I used the same backstory for my In Deep Waters hero, Ben Mendoza, so he wouldn't believe in love, but hubby's point was this was a kid's film and I do see his point. Why not just kill off the wife?) But it's still a wonderfully crafted, enjoyable story. Here's a story techniques article written by John Truby about Enchanted that writers might find interesting. I did.

Have you seen Enchanted? If so, what did you think? If not, do you plan on seeing it or not?

12 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I haven't seen it -- yet. I'm considering taking DD to it. I loved the clip! LOL...

Melissa said...

My oldest is nine and she loved it, Marianne. There are a couple of shots with some strong sexual tension, a towel scene and especially one where she touches his chest, but it went right over my kids' heads.

My youngest is four and the only part she didn't like was the "evil woman" (stepmother) at the end. She said it reminded her of Sleeping Beauty. But it didn't scare her that much. No wincing or tears. She was already sitting on my lap before it so that probably helped. Nothing like her reaction after the scene in Eight Below with the leopard seal.

Dru said...

Once I get over this darn cold, this is one of the movies I plan to check out while I'm home on vacation. I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

Brandy said...

My kids want to see this, but like you, I usually wait until they come out on DVD. When did it become okay for 4 people to go the movies, to cost as much as eating out at a nice restaraunt?
Glad your children enjoyed it!

Tori Lennox said...

And hubby had issues with Robert's wife leaving him. .... Why not just kill off the wife?

For some reason this just had me cracking up. *g* Your solution is so much more violent. LOL!\

I want to see this movie a lot. But since I can't really manage to go to the theater, I'll have to wait for either DVD or pay-per-view.

Nathalie said...

I did not year about this movie... I am usually not very entertainment-connected!

However, as I loved Over the Hedge and have a soft spot for fairy tales, I will try this one :)

Melissa said...

Dru - I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm a true Disney fan. I owned all the VHS tapes before I even had kids so this was right up my alley.

Brandy - it's so expensive. We even went to one of the early discount shows and the tickets were still $34.50 for the five of us. We got a big tub of popcorn, but skipped the drinks. Maybe see if your in-laws will take them. I do think your kids would like it.

Tori - well, Disney kills off a lot of mother's. And come to think of it, many of my heroines are orphans. But it just leaves that whole other mother thread unresolved when she leaves and is never heard from again. What happens if she decides to show up again? At least if she's dead that's not going to happen unless you go all paranormal or something. And they've done studies that show the death of a parent has less negative effect on children than the divorce of their parents. A friend's whose parents divorced told me that one and she agreed with the study!

Nathalie - if you like fairy tales, you should like this one. There are also all kind of inside jokes. An example is three of the women who voiced Disney princesses (Ariel, Belle and Pocahontas) show up in roles in the film. Can't wait to hear what you think, too!

This movie definitely filled my well. I started my new book today. I wasn't planning to, but just felt like writing so I did!

Nathalie said...

Thanks for the inside on this movie... I will seek it out :)

Congrats on beginning your next book!!!

Brandy said...

I understand what you're talking about with the divorce vs. death of a parent in movies, especially ones where children will be interested.
AND you started your new book! WOO-HOO! WTG!

Tiffany said...

My sister, mother and I went to the movies today (to accomplish this the stars had to align!) and we almost saw Enchanted but went to Juno instead. After your review I'll definitely see Enchanted next! But we loved Juno also - quirky, funny, and had us in tears at times - the best movie I've seen since Little Miss Sunshine.

Glad to hear you're back to writing! Can't wait to hear more about the new book!

tetewa said...

I really want to see this also but I'll probably wait for DVD. I have a huge collection of movies and I would rather watch them in the convenience of my own home.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Nathalie and Brandy.

So the stars finally aligned for the three of you. WTG! I haven't heard about Juno, Tiffany, but I've cried too much the past couple of weeks. I'm ready for some dry eyes. I'll wait for the DVD of that one.

Tetewa - I love watching movies at home, too. You cannot beat that convenience, but for me there are a few movies like Star Wars, Narnia, LOTR, the epic kind of flicks, that need a theater the first time you see them!