Saturday, December 22, 2007

Yippee!

Hubby is on his way home. When I woke up this morning, there was an email saying his flight from Tel Aviv had landed in Atlanta. Only a few more hours and he'll arrive in Portland.

The house is clean, too! The kids and I worked so hard. I have a housecleaner coming to do all the hard stuff, but the clutter, papers and mess has all been put away, thrown away or recycled. The only thing left is to empty and fill the dishwasher.

Last night, we slept under the Christmas tree. It's a yearly tradition from my childhood and hubby isn't as into it as I am, so we decided last night would be the perfect time to do it. And celebrate the last day of school, too. But, boy oh boy, the floor is hard. We have hardwood floors with a rug over them. No padding. I couldn't find the padded camping rolls so just laid sleeping bags down. I still woke up sore. Oh, well, it was worth it. Nothing like rolling over in the middle of the night and seeing the tree lights. I remember when I was pregnant with Mackenna and hubby put down a futon mattress so I would be comfortable sleeping under the tree. So sweet!

Right now the kids are putting together a show using music from Riverdance. They want to perform it for us on Christmas night. Should be interesting.

Do you have any family traditions you'd care to share? They don't have to be holiday related.

7 comments:

windycindy said...

Happy Holidays! Glad your husband is on his way home. My husband travels for his work and sometimes he goes to Japan! Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Tori Lennox said...

I can't imagine sleeping under the Christmas tree. Sounds very uncomfortable to me. *g*

Melissa said...

Thanks Cindi. My husband worked in Japan right after we got married. I went over their for three weeks one December. Everything was decked out for Christmas, even Tokyo Disneyland.

Haha, Tori. Well, it was very cool to sleep there when I was a kid and I guess I'm still just a kid at heart cause even though it was uncomfortable it was fun!

Nathalie said...

Wow... that is short trip... I wish I could go to Lebanon to see my grandparents for a week too... however the expenses would be too much on the bank!!

Traditions... When we were younger, we would help decorate the christmas tree in November and each year we had to get something new for it.

However, now that we are all grown up... I don't think we have any other than it is imperative that we should be together on christmas eve!

catslady said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder:) I can remember when my husband was in the serivce...but oh when he came back home!

I read The Littlest Angel every year to my two girls - makes me sob like a baby. We also have a tree trimming party every year. Those are both traditions we started. I like you're sleeping under the tree tradition. My cats like to do that too lol.

Brandy said...

YAY! Your hub's almost home! I bet y'all are excited. Your tradition of sleeping under the tree sounds like fun. One of our traditions has to do with New Years. New Year's Eve is the night we take the tree down as we wait for the ball to drop. Oh, and dinner that night isn't really dinner. It's a snackfest and we have Sparkling Cider. *g*

Have a wonderful evening!

Melissa said...

Thanks for your traditions!

Nathalie - being together is important, but it's funny how things change as you get your own families. We do all still get together on Christmas Eve Day, but I miss those Christmas Eve nights with all of us after Mass having a big dinner together.

catslady - yes, it is wonderful to have him home. When we got home (had to go to irish dance from the airport) we were standing in the kitchen. He was amazed that all the paperwork and clutter was gone from everywhere. I asked him if he wanted me to wash his dirty clothes. He stared at me and said who was I and where was his wife. LOL!

Brandy - Yep, he's home and we spent last night after Mass doing cookies. A lot of fun! Sparkling cider is a must on most holidays around here. We also celebrate East Coast new years so the kids can get to bed at a decent hour!