Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Weary Wednesday

Don't know about you, but all this Olympics watching is making me so tired. But how can I go to sleep without knowing what's what?

Another great day for Michael Phelps as he become the winningest gold medal Olympic athlete and set two new world records including breaking the 7 minute mark during the 4 x 200 m relay.

A silver medal should be cause for victory, but the US women's gymnastics team was such a contradiction from the men's team last night. Of course, the expectations were different for them than the guys. Not to diminish China's win because they were the better team tonight, but I do have to wonder about Bela Karolyi's assertion that half the team is younger than sixteen. Some of those girls look very young. And he justified his claim the same why I'd done with hubby a few hours earlier when we were discussing it-their own country issued their passports, the same country that also inserted computer graphic fireworks and had a prettier child lip sync for a little girl who had the best voice during the opening ceremony. We'll probably never know the truth.

My heart ached when I heard children were taken from their families at age three to train. According to the announcer tonight, this happened to China team captain Cheng Fei and she only got to see her family about once a year. I can't even imagine that as a mom. I'd be beside myself. She had called her family and asked to come home. Her family said no because she had a better chance of making something of herself and they would all be better off with her staying in gymnastic.

I know the Eastern Block countries did the same thing with children, but I didn't have children of my own then. It just seems wrong on so many levels. I wonder when it's all said and done if the medals are enough or if they would have rather had their families and a normal childhood. What do you think?

I was talking to a writer friend today on the telephone and we were talking craft. She brought up something and I asked her to explain it more. She said I was the one who told her about it, and as we talked more a few things about it came back to me, but not many. Yikes!

How could I forget something like that? Granted I've had three kids so maybe that does effect the memory cells even more than I thought, but still...not remembering scared me a little. Has that ever happened to you?