Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A New Car!

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

Last night we bought a new car. After a night of researching minivans, I narrowed my search to three models Honda Odyssey (2006+), Toyota Sienna (2006+) and Kia Sedona (2008+). I knew the actual trim I wanted to searched the internet for them.

What I discovered was for the same price, I could get a newer model Sedona with less mileage than the other, too. A friend of mine swears by her Hyundai Entourage and the Kia reviews were very favorable so I decided to check it out.

Yesterday morning, I went to two different dealers. At the first I test drove an LX which is the lower priced, basic model trim. It did have a few nice features including power sliding doors and rear parking sensors. I liked how it drove though which was the most important thing.

After talking with hubby, we wondered if I would miss certain other features my Dodge Grand Caravan has such as power lift gate, power seat adjustment and power back windows so... I went to another dealer and test drove two EX trims. They had more of the options I was used to. I liked that so much better. Best, I knew I'd be happy with this minivan and the price tag! The only difference between the two I drove was the mileage and a $500 price difference because of that.

The night before I'd found another EX and sent the Internet sales guy an email. By the time I got home I still hadn't heard from him so I called. Turns out he hadn't received my email. This EX had the lowest mileage of all that I'd looked at. I told him my hubby or I would be by later to see it.

I didn't make it there until 7:30 pm. I loved the color. I loved everything about the car. It was in such good shape and looked nearly new. I test drove it. The biggest thing I'd wanted that it didn't have was leather seats, but none of the other minivans had that either. Joe showed me a car that had after-market leather installed. I was told it could be done at any time. I was sold.

I called hubby who arrived with Mackenna after her 4H dog showing was over. He liked the minivan, too. Sometime after ten o'clock, we were the proud new owners!

But a funny thing happened on the drive home. The kidlets were very quiet. I was so excited, but they weren't saying much. It was nearly eleven by the time we arrived home so they went right to bed. Then my oldest came and got me because she said my son was crying.

I went to his room and he was sobbing. Poor kid missed the minivan we'd traded in. That's really the only car he knew. He was two when we bought it. Like the LOLcat picture above, I held him. But there wasn't much I could say. The minivan wasn't going to be resold to another family. It would be parted out and scrapped.

I crawled in bed with him as did Yoda and tried to comfort him. Spirit sat at the door to his bedroom meowing. They don't like when any kidlet cries. Finally he calmed down enough to sleep. This morning, he's still sad.

As for me, not one ounce of buyer's remorse. I love the car. I can't wait for the leather to arrive so the seats can be recovered. (I decided this was a must-have item with three kids and a dog that sheds like crazy!)

Now I can finally get back to writing without being distracted by car issues. Perfect timing, actually. My on-line read synopsis was approved yesterday.

Hope you have a nice Tuesday! I'm going to drive my new minivan into Portland so the kidlets can attend Irish dance camp this morning. I can't wait!