Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Car Trouble

128296083537501250kittycannotre.jpg
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

My minivan didn't end up in a ditch off the side of the road, but it is in the garage. Unfortunately, the cost of repairs are too much when compared to the value of the car. We bought it new in July 2002. It now has 177K miles on it. Hmmm...maybe we did drive it into the ground!

I spent much of yesterday looking at cars. I've only owned new cars so I started there. I narrowed it down to two models: 2010 Chevy Traverse and the 2011 Sienna. I love things about each. The price tags are similar, but when push comes to shove I think I have too much of Dave Ramsey's influence. I cannot spend that much money on a new car no matter how much I like it. Okay, maybe if I won the lottery.

So...I'll be checking out used cars. Much cheaper new cars because again I think Dave Ramsey is right about car payments. Not sure we can find something that inexpensive that we can afford outright, but we need something that won't kill our budget. We really have taken to heart the Total Money Makeover. We only use our credit card (note singular!) to check into hotels or secure rental cars. At checkout, we switch to a debit!

Right now I'm driving a rental so would like to find something ASAP. I will most likely end up going the minivan route again. There are lots more of them out there for sale than SUV crossovers.

I must admit I'm sad. I loved my Dodge Grand Caravan. It wasn't all that fancy. The best option were the leather seats and the automatic back hatch opener. But it was dependable, could fit so much and easy to drive. Plus it was finally paid off!

Wish me luck on my used pre-owned car search. Thanks!