Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fathers

Yesterday I found out that the father of one of my closest friends (who is also the godmother of my oldest child) died. She lost her mother to breast cancer when we were in college together. I called her at her dad's house, and it was difficult to know the right words to say. We talked. About her dad. About her family. About so many different things.

After I hung up, I reread the obituary my friend had emailed me. Her father had a friend write it when he was still alive and suffering a horrible illness that could not be diagnosed. The words of his obituary captured the essence of who he'd been. I remembered the dinners he'd treated us to the many times he'd visited Palo Alto and San Francisco. I remembered the many adventures and travels he'd taken over the years. And I remembered how much he loved his children, Leigh and Rob. I used the name Armstrong for my heroine Christina in my book IF THE RING FITS... because of my friend and her father. Many hugs and prayers to Mr. Armstrong's family and friends who will miss him so much.

Yesterday was also my father's birthday. Tonight we're all getting together to celebrate his turning 76. The kidlets can't wait to go to Nana and Papa's house and are so excited. They've even packed suitcases on the chance Nana asks them to stay the night. Me? I just want to give my dad a great, big hug and not let go for a really long time.