Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Links for Tuesday



I'm short on time this morning. Overslept my alarm after my dog decided she had to get up at 5:05 am to go outside. I must give Chaos credit. There was something tramping around in the wetland preserve to the north, but still...

These two stories came across my Facebook newsfeed yesterday. They are, of course, about animals.

The first is a great story about strangers (well, not on-line since they belonged to the same forum) coming together to rescue a dog who was injured and left by her owner on a mountain in Colorado. Now the owner has been charged with animal cruelty, and the person who found and later rescued the dog wants to adopt her. Interesting read and pics here on dogheirs.com. I'm still scratching my head about the dog's owner who left her on the mountain. I know a person is innocent until proven guilty, but his actions just don't make any sense to me.

After reading this next story, I was sure it had been put out by The Onion, but no, it looks legit since it was posted by NBC affliliate station KSEE. According to vet researchers, cats who beg for food or are too eager to eat their dinners may be suffering from mental illness. I'm wondering who paid for this study—a group of wanna-be cat pyschologists and feline psychiatrists, perhaps?

I've got a couple cats like this. The reason they act that way isn't because they have psychological problems or eating disorders. It's because they are cats. Those who have a strong hunting instinct, especially ones who aren't allowed outside, will want search for food anywhere it can find it, including the table and a human's plate. Hunger will also do it. If you want to read the original story from the UK Daily Mail, it's here.

Have a great Tuesday