Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Non-Writing Wednesdays

First the tally for Tuesday:

New pages written: 5 (goal: 6.2 pages per day)
Old pages revised on paper: 10 (revised only for the art museum-see yesterday's post for more info)
Pages of revisions typed in: 0
Pages lost or gained due to revisions: 0
Total page count to date: 102 (goal: 200)
Days remaining until D-day: 49 days (if I counted correctly)
Emails from editor in UK: 0
Emails from agent in NY: 0

Chocolate consumed: Mr. Goodbar
Junk food consumed: none
Exercise: none
Television watched: Borrowed Hearts (one of my fave Christmas movies!)
Tears: none

Although I was a page short of my goal, I'm psyched. Things started to gel. The words flowed, and I'm finishing the day with one scene that needs very little revisions and another scene that's started but not quite there yet. I'm hoping this means I've made it over the brick wall I always hit when I reach chapters 4 and 5. And it always happens. Every single book. I hate it!

This evening I went with my sister and brother-in-law to meet their new puppy. The plan was for us (me, hubby and unknowing kidlets) to give the puppy on Christmas Eve morning when we have brunch with my family. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that would be a really bad idea. How could I tell my kids that we had bought their cousins a dog for Christmas and not gotten them one, too? My kidlets would be devastated. I just couldn't do that to them, especially since my kids want a dog more than anything. They play doggy all the time. Sometimes it's snow dogs (Siberian Huskies like the ones in Eight Below). Othertimes it's mutt puppies. Either way, the kids dream about having a real dog.

So when we were meeting the puppy, an adorable chocolate lab, I explained my dilemma. Sure, I missed out on seeing my niece and three nephews reaction when they saw the puppy, but I had to think of our Christmas ruined by three sad kidlets. Luckily the puppy was old enough to take home so they left with a dog! They stopped by our house so my kidlets could play with the puppy (Hershey is his new name!) Of course there were tears when they had to leave, but I realized it was so much better the way we handled it. Those mommy instincts really come in handy.

As I watched the movie tonight, I wrapped and boxed up all the gifts I need to mail. Now to get to the post office! I need to go tomorrow (well, today, if I glance at my clock) but Wednesday is the one day I have no free time. I was so busy with all the packages tonight that I still haven't planned the lesson for my class tomorrow. That's the number one item on my To Do list right now.

How are you doing with your holiday preparations? Almost there?