Wednesday, December 20, 2006

WANTED: Happy Ending

With Christmas so close (and the kidlets back home today), I won't be doing the page tally again until after the 25th. I'm writing, but not nearly as much as I should be. Story of my life, I know. But this third week of Advent is about joy. Worrying about pages written or not isn't what I need to be doing.

I don't know about you, but my heart aches for the families of the three climbers lost on Mt. Hood. Yes, they are strangers. Yes, people go missing every single day. Yet something about this story affected not only my family, but people across the nation.

The happenings on Mt. Hood riveted us. Watching the three families during the press conferences for the past week and seeing their dignity, their grace and most especially unwavering faith touched us. We wanted a happy ending for the climbers and their families, a different outcome from a few weeks before with James Kim. And, however unlikely that may seem now that the mission is in recovery mode, I still want it. I want that Christmas Miracle for the families, for the searchers, for all of us.

But then again, I'm a romance writer and happily ever afters are our specialty. I just wish I could have been the one writing this ending.