Saturday, January 10, 2009

Home at last!

I've been gone since 6:50 am this morning. Zero words written, but I made my kidlets very happy by cheering them on at the last regular season swim meet. Of course there are three more meets considered championships and/or allstars, but who's counting?

Tomorrow night I'm having my friend Karen over for dinner. I must admit I'm nervous. She is an amazing cook and owns her own place that does catering and special events. It's where we hosted Finn's First Communion dinner. She also did Mackenna's First Communion dinner. And if I can talk her into it, she'll do Rose's in two years!

But cooking for an amazing chef is, in a word, intimidating. I've got the menu all planned and when I should fix what. Several items will be done in the morning. I am missing one ingredient, but not for lack of trying. Three stores though are sold out of the fingerling potatoes I need so I'll have to run out tomorrow to find them. Wish me luck!

But for now, I'd better try to get a few more words in on my JaNoWriMo project. I think we're suppose to report numbers and I haven't done that yet!

What was your Saturday like?

10 comments:

limecello said...

Ooo - good luck on your fingerling potato quest, Melissa- and I'm sure the dinner will turn out great.
Though yes - it is intimidating. Today/Sunday is my last day with the beast... and near the end of Saturday I spent A LOT of time shoveling. I'd been letting it go then realized I have to leave, and the snow (almost in one night) piled up high enough to reach the bottom of my car. (I'd been hoping to simply drive over the snow.) No such luck... and its still snowing.

Dru said...

Your dinner will turn out great, so don't worry. Just enjoy preparing a meal for a friend.

My Saturday was quiet, I took a stroll on the boardwalk, watch what little snow we got fall from the sky and then read.

Have a good Sunday.

Virginia said...

I spend Saturday cleaning and doing laundry.

Don't worry about your dinner, everyone cooks different and if someone else cooks it things just taste better anywhys. I really enjoy when someone else cooks for me and I consider myself a pretty good cook. I am sure your friend will enjoy what ever you cook.

Good luck finding those patatoes.

catslady said...

Okay, I've never heard of those kind of potatoes?? I'm very curious:)

It sounds like you are busy as usual - more sleep, remember? lol

And I agree that I enjoy anything someone else is willing to make for me.

Jane said...

We stayed in because there was a big snowstorm.

Marianne Arkins said...

Oooh...skeeery... I don't know if I'd have the nerve to cook for a chef!~ Good luck.

And, yes, you were supposed to report your totals. For. Shame.

LOL...

Brandy said...

Good luck finding the fingerling potato's! You are braver than I to cook for a professional chef! I bet you'll do an amazing job, though.
Yesterday was BUSY. And while I wish today was quiet, not so much.

Have a great day!

Cheri2628 said...

Hi. I just found your blog. I am visiting from the Harlequin romance authors blog. I noticed that you live in the Pacific Northwest, and I was wondering if you have been affected by the recent flooding there?

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for all your support! I really appreciate it!

Cheri - thanks for posting. I am in the PNW and there has been flooding in the area, but thankfully it hasn't effected us. We live on a hill and my hubby is diligent about cleaning out the drains around us to keep water from backing up. He did it as all the snow was melting! The road to our house had a little flooding for a couple of days but luckily one lane remained opened. And there is another way down if the lake ever overflowed. We thought it might! Several places here and north of us have had it really bad though. And they had the same thing last year. Not fun! Especially when they said it was a 100 year flood last year yet it repeated already!

Cheri2628 said...

I am glad to hear that your house is OK. I have seen some awful pictures on the news.