Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Six!

Today is my youngest's six birthday. Six just sounds so old to me. Granted it's not ten or eight like the other two, but she's the one we still call the baby. Not so much a baby any more!

I still remember being at the hospital six years ago. They were inducing me early because they thought she would be too big if they didn't. Her brother came a few days before his due date and surprised everyone by being 9 lbs 6 oz.

As I was waiting for the contractions to start, I had my Alphasmart with me and was writing a scene for Santa Brought A Son since I would not only have a newborn (along with a 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds) but an upcoming deadline in the next few weeks. Oh, what had I been thinking back then????

But I survived. We all did. And now our Rose is six!

I'll be honest, she's the one who's more work than the other two kidlets combined. All of us, including the other kidlets, have spoiled her. Being the third kid, she learned early on to speak up for what she wants. She also has no problem going for what she wants herself. It's a trait that will serve her will in adulthood, but makes parenting her a little challenging! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last night, Rose told us she wanted to make her own cupcakes for her birthday. So she and hubby made cupcakes from scratch. She was mixing the batter and needed a spatula. Hubby grabbed one from the container on the counter, but she pulled her own from a pocket on her apron. It was so cute. And she knew exactly how to use it! Of course we got the whole thing on tape!!! We will ice and decorate the cupcakes today.

She's also set the menu for today. Breakfast is orange juice, fruit salad (made by her sister recipe courtesy of The Wiggles song) and hot from the oven sweet rolls. Lunch is meatballs and a side of carrot sticks and ranch dressing. Dinner is cheese pizza followed by her cupcakes.

My day will be all about Rose! What about yours?