Saturday, March 07, 2009

Cereal Buys

Humorous Pictures
more animals

I read about a cereal promo at Safeway on several couponing blogs. If you buy 5 boxes of certain cereals you get $5 back. The couponing sites had all kinds of matches and links to coupons you could use. It sounded like a really good deal so I decided to give it a try. One blog said you can only do it once per day. Another said it was unlimited. I decided to just do it once and then get more boxes this weekend which is when I normally grocery shop.

Here's what I bought:

1 Lucky Charms $2.59 (on sale from $4.39) - this is my absolute favorite cereal!
1 Life Cereal Maple and Brown Sugar flavor 1.99 (on sale from $3.49)
2 Frosted Flakes $2.79 (on sale from $2.99)
1 Post Cocoa Pebbles $2.49 (on sale from $3.59)

Total before discounts/coupons: $13.05

Then the following got subtracted from the total:

$5.00 - 5 for $5 saving
$.055 - Internet coupon for Lucky Charms
$1.00 - Internet coupon for Life Maple and Brown Sugar Flavor
$1.00 - Internet coupon for $1 off when you buy 2 Frosted Flakes
$0.50 - Double coupon bonus for Life cereal
$0.50 - Double coupon bonus for Frosted flake cereal

Total Savings subtracted - $8.55

Total spent out of pocket for five boxes of cereal: $4.50

That's 90 cents a box. Not bad! The kids were with me and picked out the other cereals they want me to buy. I have coupons for those too. Not sure I can do this well though, but I'll try. At less than $1 each, it's time to stock up!

Have a great Saturday!

6 comments:

catslady said...

I used to spend hours every day working on coupons and rebates. I had bags of UPC's. I saved 35 to 50% every week on groceries plus getting goodies mostly for the kids. Then they started wanting receipts which wasn't bad until they wanted original dated receipts along with the upc's. Well unless you went shopping for one item at a time that was impossible. I pretty much just do coupons now but the expiration dates are a lot shorter than they use to be. I no longer buy cereal but that sounds like a good deal - although I have never known any company to allow more than one and only one per address? My sister and I use to take turns using my moms address lol.

Dru said...

That is indeed a bargain.

Have a good weekend.

Virginia said...

Hey you done real well on those items. I do use coupons when I have them, also buy some of the store brand cerials. My son has started eating a lot of cerial lately.

Tori Lennox said...

Some people really do save tons of money with coupons. But it's practically a full time job to do it.

limecello said...

Whoaaa - I bow down to your superior purchasing power, Melissa! I absolutely love Lucky Charms too - but not as breakfast. :P I find it too sweet, so I'll eat it as a snack/dessert. lol.
My mom is super good at clothes deals. She once got a skirt for... I want to say something ridiculous. Like a $200 skirt for $5. I wanted to steal it on principle.

Brandy said...

Wow! That is one heck of a deal on cereal! I went grocery shopping yesterday and saved $2.40 cents in coupons. I need to pick up a paper tomorrow......

I hope you had a great day!