Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Not-so-brave New World

Since Sunday, I've taken two showers, done two loads of laundry, washed two loads of dishes, gotten no exercise and written six pages on the book. I have picked up the mail once and only remembered to take out the garbage this morning after I heard the truck rolling down the street. Not a very good week. Toss in a sick four year old and what do you have? A mommy ready for a vacation all by herself.

I have entered the ranks of those with traveling spouses. Hubby has always taken business trips, but they were so infrequent who was I to complain? Okay, I may have complained once or twice, but hey, when a family is as busy as we are, any change in the routine can have rippling effects.

Well, hubby took a new position at work a couple of months ago and his travel schedule has finally kicked in. He was gone last week (one night). He's gone right now (left Sunday morning and returning today). He's got a trip for next week, too.

Some women I know have the "single-during-the-week" mom routine down. With their husbands gone Monday through Friday, they run things like well-oiled machines and know exactly how to deal with whatever might come up. They've given me advice. They've offered support. One even came over and brought me dinner last night. I just can't ever see myself handling it as well as them.

Why?

Because hubby pretty much runs things around here so I can concentrate on the kids and my writing. A few examples:

Hubby does all the cooking unless it's a holiday and/or we're having company. He makes the kids lunches and breakfasts, too. When I'm on deadline, he comes home to make sure I eat because well, if he didn't, I'd forget to feed myself. Not the kids though. Somehow I always remember them.

Hubby does all the laundry except for the folding. That's my job. Of course, I see nothing wrong with piles of clean clothes on the floor for days at a time so sometimes he helps out with that. He also irons because I also see nothing wrong with a few wrinkles.

Needless to say, I have gotten totally spoiled by my loving, indulgent hottie of a husband. I've been living in Fantasyland and am now being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the real world of a working mom. It sucks, but I have no choice. Which means I have to get my act together. Pronto.

December 1 isn't that far away. If the kids and I are going to survive the weeks leading up to that deadline without needing counselling afterwards, I must have a full-proof plan in place ASAP. I know this week with a sick kid won't be the norm, but I still have to be ready for whatever comes my way.

I found a link with articles on the affect of a traveling spouse on a marriage, but have yet to find anything telling me how to survive the days without him and still get some writing done. I'll keep looking.

In the meantime I'm counting the hours until his flight from Dallas touches down. I really miss him!