Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Freedom

This morning, I dropped the youngest kidlet off for her first day of school. She switched preschools this year and is now attending the same school as her sister and brother. No more commuting twenty minutes each way to drop her off at the other school. It's 8:20 and I'm done with the morning school prep. Amazing!

Last night I went to a Women's Climb Night at a local gym. It's a monthly event, but I'd never made it to one before due to scheduling conflicts. I'd heard via group emails that there's always people who show up so I figured I'd make my way down even though the staff member who organizes it was on vacation. Well, guess what? No one else showed up.

Luckily, the climbing cutie was there with a friend of his. Good thing I had my camera with me! They graciously let me climb with them. Cutie was helping me with technique, and I was totally flailing. It wasn't pretty. I hate to think how I looked making it up all those routes at Smith Rock. Yikes. I'm a newbie, but felt even less than than that hanging on the wall. Not sure what that would make me. A zero, perhaps?

But I learned a lot and know what to work on. My legs and hands are sore today, too. Kind of strange since I didn't climb that much, though I ended up with blisters again. I think those and peeling fingers and hands are just a given now.

Oh, and I did make it to the top of the big wall, which my fear of heights had always stopped me before, so this was a big accomplishment for me even though I've climbed much higher outside! I didn't even realize it until I got home and hubby asked how far up I made it the big wall! And even though I suck even worse than I thought, it was still a good night of climbing.

What did you do last night?